Though it used to be common practice, the presence of mercury in dental fillings comes with certain risks and given this knowledge, mercury-based fillings should be removed with great care.
SMART is an abbreviation of “safe mercury amalgam removal technique” and it is a dental amalgam filling removal standard introduced by IAOMT.
This blog post explains the benefits of SMART and why you should have it done.
Understanding the SMART Method
SMART or safe mercury amalgam removal technique is the latest standard for dental amalgam removal recommended by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT), the professional body for standardization in dentistry. With the help of seasoned and experienced dentists, it designs protocols to ensure the highest possible standards.
SMART is nothing but a detailed set of recommendations from IAOMT that guides dentists on how to remove mercury amalgam from the teeth in the safest possible way.
This protocol is one of a kind technique for dental filling removal and licensed dental professionals can make changes to it according to an individual’s requirements.
Why You Should Try SMART?
Considering the high risk of mercury proliferation inside the mouth and into the outer environment, SMART is better for the following reasons.
- This technique represents the highest standards of dental amalgam removal.
- The patient can be confident about the safety of their oral health after having mercury and other metals removed.
- This method ensures that particles or vapors of mercury do not propagate during the removal.
- This procedure tries to remove each and every particle of mercury safely from the teeth/mouth.
- The tooth filling is replaced with a composite material that looks and feels just like a natural tooth.
Amalgam Removal With SMART: End Result
To know how much you will have to pay for it, you will have to visit a provider in your area.
Dental filling procedures must be performed carefully and following the SMART standard can ensure that the patient does not inhale or get any particles of mercury and other metals in the mouth.
If you want to try this or you need more details about this treatment, one of our dental surgeons can help. Please call our number to fill our online form to book an appointment.