To an average person suffering from back pain, knee pain or shoulder pain, it’s hard to spot the difference between an osteopath and a chiropractor. Both of them seem like doing the same job and providing the same services as both deals with muscle pain. However, there is a difference a chiropractor and an osteopath in Dubai and you should know about it.
They may seem similar at first, but both these health care experts take different treatment approaches. While deciding upon visiting a health professional for any musculoskeletal treatment it’s better to know the contrast between the two. Understanding about their areas of expertise will surely help you choose the right health care expert to deal with your problems. Read on to know about the actual differences between them.
What is Chiropractor?
A chiropractor physician, also known as the doctor of chiropractic (DC) is a professional medical physician who diagnoses and treats biomechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal. The main area of concern for a chiropractor is the spine and the nervous system. Chiropractors can effectively treat skeletal issues for patients of all ages.
What does a Chiropractor Treat?
A chiropractor can generally diagnose and treat all musculoskeletal problems. They can expertly deal with spinal and nerve pain and disorders. They usually perform a physical or neurological examination of the patients depending on the symptoms. Chiropractors may also use reports from X-rays and CT scans to better diagnose and treat the spinal and neurological problems.
A chiropractor may alter the spinal alignment for the body to heal itself.
What is an Osteopath?
An osteopath, also known as the doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) is a licenced health care physician who works to improve the overall wellness of a person. Unlike chiropractors, osteopaths work to diagnose, treat and prevent skeletal problems. They usually heal a person using manual medicine that includes stretching, moving and massaging techniques.
What does an Osteopath Treat?
Osteopaths can expertly diagnose, treat and prevent back pain, repetitive strain injuries, postural problems and pregnancy changes. They can also deal with problems such as jaw dysfunction, plagiocephaly, arthritis, and work strains.
Difference Between Osteopathy and Chiropractic Treatment
Here are some main differences between Chiropractor or Osteopath. This comparison will help you decide whether you should visit an osteopath in Dubai or a chiropractor.
- Osteopaths are more focused on treating joint and muscle pain. They also pay attention to the adjustment of these joints with the spine or the vertebra of the person under consideration. Chiropractors on the other hand pay more attention toward pinched nerves and issues in the alignment of the spine.
- Osteopaths treat the body as a whole and work on the interdependent structure throughout the body. They are able to treat a border range of problems with physical examination and manual treatment. A chiropractor may also use test results from x-rays and MRI scans to further examine and treat specific problems.
- An osteopath refers out a patient if the fell that diagnostic procedures and technical equipment are required for further diagnosis.
- An osteopathic physician will spend more time with the patient as compared to a Chiropractor. This is because an osteopath takes more time understanding your medical history and performing manual treatment.
Similarities between an Osteopath and a Chiropractor
Many people are asking about the difference between a Chiropractor and Osteopath because they have some similarities that confuse them. Some of these similarities include:
- Muscle manipulation, joints manipulation and tissue massage are some techniques that are practised by both.
- Both these health experts also work towards optimizing the body’s nervous and circulatory system to promote blood flow and well being.
- Both Chiropractors and Osteopaths can help you with other health-related issues that aren’t specific symptoms of some ailment.
- Both types of health experts can treat all musculoskeletal issues to some extent.
Deciding whether to visit a chiropractor or osteopath is a personal choice. After reading the article you now know the difference between them. You just have to do a personal diagnosis of your condition in accordance to what services are provided by an osteopath and a chiropractor. This will help you to decide what practitioner can best treat your condition.
The best way to self diagnose a health problem is to ask your self some questions such as how complicated is your problem? Do you have pain in your muscles or joints? The origin of the pain is lower back or the middle portion? In which positions are you experiencing most pain? Answer to these questions will also help to choose the right physician.
If you are still unsure about your problem then you can either visit EuroMed Clinic Centre Dubai or fill in the online form to book a free consultation. We have the services of many physicians along with the best osteopath to assist you in this problem.