As you all know, females experience a monthly menstrual cycle in which they bleed for three to seven days. During the cycle, the uterus lining sheds and flows out of the body through the vagina along with blood. The menstrual cycle, also known as menses or periods, is a part of the female reproductive system that prepares the body for pregnancy.
A number of changes occur in a female’s body during the menstrual cycle, such as menstrual cramps. Women may experience cramps before or during the periods. Though it is normal to have menstrual cramps, sometimes they can get worse, causing severe pain.
But, what causes such cramps during periods?
There can be a variety of reasons for severe menstrual cramps in girls and women. This blog post explains the reasons for severe menstrual pain. If you are a woman facing painful menstrual cramps, this topic is for you.
Table of Contents
Understanding Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps refer to the throbbing pain in the lower abdomen of a female during or before menstrual periods. The intensity of pain in menstrual cramps varies from woman to woman. Some women experience severe pain that interferes with their daily activities. The signs and symptoms of menstrual cramps include the following:
- Loose stools
- Pain radiating towards lower back and thighs
- Cramping pain in the lower abdomen
The pain caused by menstrual cramps may start one to three days before the periods, intensify during the initial 24 hours, and disappear after 2 to 3 days.
Causes of Severe Menstrual Cramps
Though there can be many reasons for severe menstrual cramps during periods, some of the main reasons are discussed below:
- Adenomyosis: It refers to a condition in which the tissues lining the uterus start growing into the muscular walls of the uterus. As a result, you experience severe cramps.
- Uterine Fibroids: They are non-cancerous growths that appear on the wall of the uterus. They are often linked to cramping pain during periods.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: It is a common infection of female reproductive organs that causes pain before and during periods. It usually occurs due to sexually transmitted bacteria.
- Endometriosis: In this condition, the tissue that lines the uterus gets implanted outside the uterus and mainly on the ovaries, tissue lining the pelvis, or the fallopian tubes.
- Cervical Stenosis: The menstrual flow can be obstructed if the cervix opening is smaller than normal. Due to this issue, the pressure within the uterus increases, which causes pain.
Consulting with a gynecologist can help women overcome menstrual pain. So, do not forget to consult with your doctor if you feel a significant amount of pain during periods.
Consult a Gynecologist Today
You are now familiar with the common causes of severe menstrual cramps. It is possible to fix this problem by consulting with a gynecologist at your earliest which will improve the quality of your life.
Our gynecologists at Euromed Clinic Center can help you overcome the causes of menstrual cramps as soon as possible. But for that, you have to consult with them by booking an appointment. For this purpose, you can either fill the form given below or call us at our provided numbers.