Obesity is unhealthy for both men and women but for pregnant females; it is way too harmful. An overweight woman faces certain risks after getting pregnant, so weight matters a lot during pregnancy. You can experience several complications due to obesity. Therefore, weight loss and routine gynecological visits are preferable options for overweight pregnant women.
Table of Contents
- 1 Body Weight and Pregnancy
- 2 Risks to Overweight Pregnant Women
- 3 Steps to Be Taken by Overweight Pregnant Women
- 4 Handling Pregnancy Threats
This blog post highlights the pregnancy risks an overweight woman faces and the guidelines that must be followed. Please continue reading to know the right weight during pregnancy and how an overweight pregnant woman can handle certain risks.
Body Weight and Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a rewarding but tough experience at the same time. The woman is blessed with motherhood during this period, but the suffering cannot be ignored. This discussion may seem scary but knowing about complications is the key to a successful pregnancy journey.
A woman should be in a stable mental and physical state before getting pregnant to avoid health risks and give birth to a healthy child. Weight, or body mass index (BMI), to be more precise, matters a lot because it is an indicator of good or bad health.
A pregnant woman must have the right weight because having a suitable weight before pregnancy means fewer complications.
Risks to Overweight Pregnant Women
There are certain pregnancy risks for obese and overweight women. Some significant hazards during different stages include the following:
Risks Associated with a High BMI during Pregnancy
- Gestational diabetes
- Thrombosis and blood clotting
- High blood pressure and preeclampsia
Risks of a Raised BMI during Labor and Birth
- Premature Birth: If the pregnant woman has more than normal weight, the risk of premature birth increases.
- Cesarean Birth: The obese and overweight women may give birth to a bigger child than normal. Due to this reason, the chances of cesarean section increase.
- Anesthetic Complications: Obese and sometimes overweight women tend to have morbidity (and rarely mortality) due to general anesthesia.
Risks for the Baby
- Neural Tube Defects: The baby may develop a spine, brain, and other problems. The risk of the baby developing neural tube defects is high in overweight women.
- Larger-than-Normal Baby: Overweight women are likely to have a bigger baby than normal, and this risk doubles for women with more than 30 BMI.
- Stillbirth: Though the risk of stillbirth has been reduced for mothers of any weight, it is still there for obese and overweight women.
- Obesity and Diabetes: The baby born to an obese woman will be more at risk of developing obesity and diabetes.
Steps to Be Taken by Overweight Pregnant Women
For overweight women aspiring to become pregnant, visiting a gynecologist before conception is necessary. Furthermore, following the advice of the doctor is essential. In general, the gynecologists recommend the following:
Eating anything may not be a good idea during pregnancy. It is necessary to eat healthy food to stay healthy during pregnancy and give birth to a healthy child.
As the body grows bigger and women put on weight during pregnancy, some women may reduce eating to stop weight gain. Doing so is not suitable for both the woman and the baby.
It is true that pregnancy is a tough time but staying active and free of stress is important. Performing routine tasks and walking regularly is good during this period.
Regular Antenatal Care
All pregnant women need to visit the gynecologist regularly to check their health. All prenatal instructions from the doctor must be followed carefully.
Pregnancy Weight Gain
If a woman does not have a suitable weight, she should consult a certified dietitian or gynecologist to know if she is doing well.
Comprehensive Maternity Insurance
Obese and overweight women can have a healthy and normal pregnancy, but some risks are still there. Therefore, it is recommended to obtain maternity insurance to be on the safe side.
Handling Pregnancy Threats
You have read here the importance of weight during pregnancy. Routine Gynecological visits and weight loss are recommended to overweight women aspiring to get pregnant. Handling all risks just by reading an article on the internet is not a realistic approach, and you should always seek professional help. For this reason, you can visit Euromed Clinic Center, as we have highly experienced and qualified gynecologists who can ensure a successful pregnancy and delivery for you.
If you want to learn more about this topic, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. The experts at our clinic are always available to answer your questions. Please book your appointment now by calling us or filling the short online form.