Depression is also known as depressive disorder and it is a serious mental illness that must be treated properly to avoid permanent brain damage.
It is important to know the causes of depression disorder and how this illness can be treated. What factors cause it and what treatment options do we have?
This blog post explains the notable causes of depressive disorder and how it can be treated. If you are a depression patient and want to get rid of it, this topic is for you.
Causes of Depressive Disorder
There can a variety of factors that can cause depressive disorder. Some notable causes have been discussed below:
- Medications: Some prescription drugs are linked to depression.
- Inherited Traits: Some inherited trains are likely to cause this disorder.
- Hormones: In some cases, the imbalance of hormones can result in depression.
- Abuse: Different types of mental and physical abuses are likely to cause this problem.
- Brain Chemistry: Some neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) can also cause depression.
- Biological Differences: Some changes occur in the brain that may cause depressive disorder.
- Other Causes: There can be many other causes of depression. Contact us to learn more.
Treating Depressive Disorder
Mental health experts have developed a different technique to cure depression disorder. Some of the effective options are:
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs): It is a famous treatment option that involves medications. It is effective in most cases and can cause side effects.
- Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs): It is different than SSRIs and some of its examples include desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, venlafaxine, and levomilnacipran.
- Atypical Antidepressants: These antidepressants are different than other antidepressant categories. Some of its examples are nefazodone, bupropion, mirtazapine, trazodone, and vortioxetine.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants: Such kind of drugs can be effective in most cases and its examples include amitriptyline, imipramine, nortriptyline, doxepin, trimipramine, desipramine, and protriptyline. It is important to mention that their side effects can be severe.
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs): If drugs do not work for a patient of depression or there are significant side effects of medications, MAOIs can be prescribed.
- Other Medications: There are other types of medications that can also be used to reduce and fix the symptoms of this mental illness.
Please note that only a psychiatrist can prescribe such medications because of complexities.
Overcoming Depression Disorder Fast
You have read about the causes of depression and what options can be used to treat it. If you want to ask a question about this mental health condition, one of our psychiatrists would love to help. Book your appointment now by filling our online form or calling our number.