Depression, commonly known as depressive disorder, is a severe mental illness that must be treated properly to avoid permanent brain damage. People worldwide suffer from depression that can lead to suicide. There can be several causes of depression that damage your mental health beyond repair if not treated on time. Therefore, it is important to treat depression by taking help from professionals. But to treat depression, knowing its cause is equally important.
This blog post explains the notable causes of depression and various treatment options. If you are a depression patient and want to get rid of it, this topic is for you.
Causes of Depression
A variety of factors can cause depression. Some notable ones have been discussed below:
- Medications: Some prescription drugs like isotretinoin and corticosteroids can increase your chances of getting depression.
- Genetic Factors: If you have a family history of depression, you are more prone to develop a depressive disorder.
- Hormones: In some cases, the hormonal imbalance can also result in depression.
- Abuse: Different mental, physical, and emotional abuse can lead to depression.
- Grief or Loss: Death of a loved one or grief of a loss can increase the risk of depression among individuals.
- Substance Addiction: Most people who have substance misuse problems suffer from clinical depression. Drugs and alcohol intensify depression.
- Illness: Another cause of depression can be a serious illness or any medical condition that triggers it.
- Personal Issues: Several personal problems like social isolation or family issues can also lead you to depressive disorders.
Treatment Options for Depression
Mental health experts have developed different techniques to cure depression. Some of the effective options are:
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs): It is a famous treatment option that involves medications that are safe and cause fewer side effects. Common SSRIs include citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, and vilazodone, etc.
- Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs): They are different than SSRIs and include desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, venlafaxine, and levomilnacipran.
- Atypical Antidepressants: These antidepressants are different than other antidepressant categories. Some of the examples are nefazodone, bupropion, mirtazapine, trazodone, and vortioxetine.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants: Such kinds of drugs are very effective in treating depression in most cases. They include amitriptyline, imipramine, nortriptyline, doxepin, trimipramine, desipramine, and protriptyline. However, it is essential to mention that their side effects can be severe. Therefore, doctors do not prescribe tricyclic antidepressants generally.
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs): MAOIs can be prescribed if other drugs do not work for a patient with depression. But to use MAOIs, you are required to follow a strict diet. Also, MAOIs cannot be used in combination with SSRIs. Some common MAOIs are Parnate, Nardil, and Marplan.
- Other Medications: Other medications can also be used to reduce and fix the symptoms of depression. Your doctor might add some medications to antidepressants to enhance their effect.
Please note that only a psychiatrist can prescribe such medications because of complexities.
You have read about the causes of depression and what options can treat it. So, if you feel depressed, it is recommended to take professional help and visit a psychiatrist. You can also visit Euromed Clinic Center to consult with a certified psychiatrist. They will listen to you and assist you in getting out of depression as soon as possible. So, please book your appointment now by filling our online form or calling our number.