Gone are the days when laser hair removal was only suitable for people with fair skin and dark hair colour. All thanks to the innovation and advancements in laser technology, the laser is now effective for almost all skin types with different skin colours. However, it must be considered that not all lasers are suitable for dark-skinned people.
You need to be well-informed about the Laser clinics in Dubai offering laser hair removal for dark skin in Dubai people to avoid any complications. Here’s everything you need to know about this specific clinical treatment.
What is this Advanced Laser Technology?
Unlike old and traditional laser systems that could only target and destroy specific pigments, the new and advanced laser technology can deal with all types of hair pigments and skin colour. Modern laser technology works by altering the wavelength, range, precision and other parameters to effectively destroy hair follicles no matter if they contain any pigment or not.
The Black Market of Laser Hair Removal for People with Dark Skin
Several black market clinics claim to have advanced laser machines that work for people with dark skin. These clinics first provide pre laser treatment in which they dye the hair with dark pigment so that the normal (old-traditional) laser can destroy them. This method is not effective and can severely damage your skin as some follicles are not dyed properly enough.
Does Laser Hair Removal Work for Darker Skin?
At EuroMed clinic, our board-certified dermatologists perform this treatment for people with medium to dark skin tones. We use advanced laser machines that are capable of effectively providing intense laser light to overwhelm all kinds of hair follicles with excess energy in order to destroy them.
Doing this will stop the growth cycle of the hair follicles in that region without doing any damage to the skin.
Before & After
How to Make Sure You are A Good Candidate for Laser Hair Removal if you are Dark Skinned?
The following techniques can help you make sure that your practitioner can effectively do this treatment for your skin:
1. The Fitzpatrick Chart
Fitzpatrick chart is commonly used to classify the colour of skin and hair into a specific classification. This chart helps classify them into six distinct types based on their tanning, sunburns, and physical appearance.
2. Avoiding Complications
- Do complete research based on your hair colour, what hair removal machine is suitable for you, is your practitioner an expert?
- No two persons are similar, ask your laser hair removal expert if the specific type of technique is good for your body and what risks are involved.
- Ask your doctors about the pre-care and post-care procedures to ensure there is no problem before and after the treatment.
- Ask the doctor specific questions such as how is he/she planning to deal with melanin. Dark skinned people have more melanin in their body which can cause complications during laser treatment. That is why it’s better to ask before undergoing treatment.
3. Do a Patch Test
No matter how certain your practitioner is about the treatment, you can still ask him/her to do a patch test on a small portion of the skin. Based on the results on that small patch of skin, you can be sure that it’s effective and non-invasive for your skin type.
Does Laser Cause Pain on Darker Skin?
If you qualify the candidacy criteria and the most suitable laser technology is expertly used for hair removal on your skin, then you will not experience any pain or discomfort.
Pre and Post Treatment
- Protect your skin against direct exposure to sunlight 3-4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight at least 4-5 weeks after the laser hair removal procedure. Use a strong sunscreen with SPF 30 or more if going out in the sun is unavoidable.
- Cover the treated area with fabric before you go out in the sun.
- You can use a cold compress to get rid of the reddening and inflammation of the skin that is seen immediately after the laser hair removal treatment.
- Do not rub your skin at least a week after the procedure.
- Only use a mild and recommended moisturizer on the treated area to hydrate the skin
- Drink plenty of water and avoid smoking and drinking for a fast recovery.
At EuroMed Clinic we have a team of board-certified dermatologists with decades of experience in laser hair removal for both light-skinned and dark-skinned patients. You can feel free to consult any one of our experts to discuss your case and that too completely free of cost. We also provide financing for our treatment so you don’t need to worry about paying the full cost.