We love to pamper our bodies but sometimes neglect to take care of our underarms. With time, due to some obvious reasons, they get dark and become a sign of worry for us – not medically but appearance-wise. Now to improve their appearance, people go for underarm chemical peeling treatment. But a question arises, Is the underarm chemical peeling treatment effective?
This question requires a lot of things to be addressed. So, we will break it down into parts and address them one by one.
Let’s start with the causes of dark underarms.
Why do underarms turn dark?
There are numerous reasons for underarm skin darkening;
- Rubbing or shaving the underarm continuously can cause skin irritation that later leads to underarm darkening.
- Hyperpigmentation (excessive melanin production in the skin) can also turn the underarms dark.
- Sometimes, deodorants can also become a reason for underarm skin darkening because they contain chemicals.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy can also lead to the darkening of the skin.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions such as Addison’s disease, acanthosis nigricans, and insulin resistance can cause underarm skin darkening.
- Genetic factors can also cause underarm darkening in an individual.
What is Underarm Chemical Peeling Treatment?
Underarm chemical peeling is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that involves the application of a chemical solution to the skin of the underarm area to remove the outer layer of dead skin cells, revealing smoother and brighter skin.
Aim of the Treatment
The treatment aims to improve the appearance of dark underarms by reducing dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin tone.
Does Underarm Chemical Peeling Treatment Work? Is it Effective?
Yes, underarm chemical peel treatment can improve the appearance and texture of the underarm skin. Chemical peels, like Alpha-hydroxy and Beta-hydroxy, when applied to the skin causes the top layers of skin to peel off, revealing smoother, brighter, and more youthful-looking skin beneath.
In terms of underarm chemical peels, the treatment can help to address a variety of issues, such as darkened skin, rough texture, and ingrown hair. It can also help to reduce sweating and odor in the underarm area.
Underarm chemical peeling is a day procedure that means you can go, undergo your treatment, and leave the clinic on the same day. The procedure typically involves the following steps.
- The dermatologist will clean the underarm area.
- To make the procedure comfortable, he will then apply a numbing gel to the target area.
- After that, with the help of a brush or applicator, the doctor will apply the chemical solution, usually Alpha Hydroxy or Beta Hydroxy to the skin.
- For about 5-15 minutes, depending on the individual case, the solution will be left on the skin.
- After then, your healthcare provider will neutralize the solution and remove it from the skin, using water or neutralizing solution.
- To avoid any redness or irritation, he will then apply cream or lotion to the treated area.
It’s important to note that chemical peeling treatments should only be performed by a trained professional, as they can cause skin damage or other complications if not done correctly. It’s also important to follow the post-treatment care instructions provided by the practitioner to avoid any adverse effects.
You need to keep in mind that chemical peels can cause redness, flaking, or temporary sensitivity in the treated area, so you need to avoid using prohibited soaps, deodorants, and any other cosmetic creams.
Avoid any blood-thinning medicines for a couple of days.
If possible, avoid smoking.
Wear sunscreen to protect the skin from further damage.
What are the Side Effects of Chemical Peeling Treatment for Underarms?
While this process is minimally invasive, still people can face the following consequences. However, it is not necessary for every individual to face the exact side effects mentioned below.
- Redness for a few days after the procedure.
- The skin may peel or flake off after the treatment, revealing new, smoother skin underneath.
- The skin may feel itchy or stinging as it heals.
- The new skin may be more sensitive to sunlight and may burn more easily.
- In rare cases, the skin may become darker in the treated area.
- There is a risk of infection if proper aftercare is not followed, such as keeping the treated area clean and avoiding excessive sweating
Are Underarm Chemical Peeling Results Permanent?
The result of an underarm chemical peeling can last anywhere between a couple of months to a couple of years but it is not permanent. The reason is the skin continues to undergo natural aging processes and may be exposed to factors such as sun damage, which can lead to new skin issues over time. Additionally, individual factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and skincare routine can influence the longevity of the results.
How can I lighten my armpits naturally?
There are several home-made remedies, cosmetic treatments such as laser, dermabrasion, over-the-counter medications, and other techniques through which you can whiten your armpit. However, it is recommended that you need to see a dermatologist before attempting any technique on your own.
Can laser remove dark armpits?
Laser treatment can address the issue of dark underarms effectively in the long term. During the laser treatment, a healthcare provider utilizes a specialized laser device that emits light energy. This light energy is targeted at the pigmented areas, resulting in their fragmentation or destruction. Over time, as the treated skin heals, a noticeable improvement in the darkness of the armpits can be observed.”
The laser can fix the issue of dark underarms for a long time.
Yes, the laser can fix dark underarm problems for a long time. However, it all depends on how much you take care of your skin after laser treatment. Moreover, a healthy diet and staying hydrated can also extend the results of laser treatment for dark underarms.
How many sessions are required for underarm whitening?
Usually, 6-8 sessions of laser are enough to whiten underarms.
Overall, treating dark underarms can improve personal hygiene, boost confidence, and alleviate discomfort. It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best course of action for your specific case.
At Euromed Clinic Dubai, our expert dermatologists are providing consultancy regarding dark underarms issues. If you want to book your appointment, reach out to us by filling out the following form or call us at +971 4 394 5422