Osteoarthritis, the most common type of arthritis, is a degenerative disease that affects millions of people all over the world. It occurs when the protective bone cartilage begins to wear down and can damage any joint in your body. The disease gradually worsens over time, and if not treated properly, joint stiffness and pain can become so bad that even daily tasks become difficult. Symptoms include:
- Loss of flexibility
- A grating sensation when you use your joint
- Bone spurs- hard lumps of bone that form around the joint
How is it diagnosed?
Our Orthopedic Surgeon Dr Miodrag will usually perform a physical exam, where he will examine the affected joint. He may then recommend the following tests:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Blood tests
- Joint fluid analysis
How can it be treated?
Although there is no cure for osteoarthritis, being physically active and maintaining a healthy weight can help improve pain, and slow down the progression of the disease. Other treatments may include:
- Medications such as acetaminophen (e.g. tylenol) to relieve pain, as well as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which may reduce inflammation, such as ibuprofen
- Therapy: Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, braces or shoe inserts
- Surgical and other procedures such as: cortisone shots, lubrication injections, realigning bones (through a surgical procedure called an osteotomy), joint replacement surgery
- Euromed’s sector-leading Intra-Articular injections of CGF
When managing a condition such as this, there is an enormous benefit to entrusting your treatment to one expert, and one clinic, in order to take a fully holistic approach to your care and recovery: put your trust in Euromed.
Check out our specialist doctor’s profile
Dr. Miodrag Milenkovic
Specialist Orthopedic Surgery and Trauma
Fluent in English, Serbian and French, Dr Miodrag has taken his expertise in countries such as UK, Zimbabwe and his native Serbia, before relocating to the UAE. A Specialist in Orthopedics and Traumatology, he was Specialist Orthopedic Surgeon and acting Consultant at Al Ain Hospital from October 2004 to October 2012 before becoming the Orthopedic Surgeon for Head Trauma services at Al Noor Hospital in 2012.