Digital smile design, or DSD, is a smile simulation approach to digitally designing or modifying a patient’s smile. This method involves creating a digital mockup of the patient’s smile before the smile restoration treatment starts, providing a near-perfect visualization of how the smile would look after the treatment. With the help of DSD, dentists can better educate and motivate their patients about the treatment outcome and benefits.
Table of Contents
- 1 Aim of Digital Smile Design
- 2 Perfect Candidate For Digital Smile Design
- 3 What is the Procedure Involved in Digital Smile Design?
- 4 Benefits of Digital Smile Design
- 5 Digital Smile Design FAQs
- 6 Consult our Experts
Aim of Digital Smile Design
The main purposes of digital smile design are to:
- Improve your smile aesthetics
- Improve your dental appearance
- Boost your self-image and confidence level
Perfect Candidate For Digital Smile Design
DSD is for any individual who wants to change something about their smile with something more than a teeth correction procedure. All you have to do is go to your dentist and discuss your requirements. They will tell if your needs or preferences are significant enough to require a smile makeover using DSD.
Digital Smile Design is generally an optimal solution for the following issues.
- Missing teeth
- Chipped, cracked, or discolored teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Overcrowding teeth
- Underbite or overbite
- Gummy smile
- Uneven teeth
- Other aesthetic or functional concerns
What is the Procedure Involved in Digital Smile Design?
The process of Digital Smile Design entails the following steps.
- First off, the dentist will take high-resolution photos or videos of the inside of your mouth. These footages provide a basic overview of how your lips, teeth, and gums work together.
- In the second step, the dentist analyzes your smile and face and takes note of every small measurement. Here, the purpose is to diagnose even the subtlest misalignments that are usually ignored or missed during traditional cosmetic dental checkups.
- In the next step, the dentist maps out your mockup smile based on your preferences using smile simulation software. It is a 3D image of your smile that encompasses all the features, including those you want to see in your modified smile. You may also ask for more changes in your proposed smile at this stage.
- Next, the virtual design of your smile is 3D-printed, allowing you to look at and understand your new smile from every angle. If you are not happy with this smile design, you may still suggest further changes. The design planning process usually concludes at this stage.
- The dentist will plan and start the treatment once you approve the final design. This treatment mainly depends on the type and degree of changes your current smile requires. The types of treatment usually given after digitally designing a smile include teeth whitening, dental veneers, braces, dental bridges, dental crowns, and more.
- The conclusion of the smile correction procedure brings the smile appearance you had approved during the DSD phase.
Benefits of Digital Smile Design
Digital Smile Design helps you get a precise overview of the smile makeover results you would have after the treatment. Patients usually report the following benefits after getting DSD-assisted smile makeover treatment.
- Highly customized results
- Complete satisfaction with results
- A natural-looking smile that complements the overall facial appearance
- Increased confidence level
Digital Smile Design FAQs
What kind of smile is attractive?
An attractive and perfect smile is one with a midline that aligns with the midline of your face (a vertical line that divides your face into two halves).
How can Digital Smile Design Help You Get a Flawless Smile?
DSD essentially prevents the guesswork in your smile makeover treatment by allowing you and your dentist to view the treatment results before it even begins. By working with this method, you and your dentist will be able to choose everything about your smile, from shape to shade.
Why Is It a Better Option for Me?
Digital smile design gives you more control of what you want to achieve with a smile makeover.
How Long Can I Expect It to Take?
The duration of smile makeover based on Digital Smile Design depends on the treatment method finalized.
Consult our Experts
Do you want to get a smile makeover based on Digital Smile Design? EuroMed Clinic Dubai is here to help. Our highly qualified dental care staff benefits from high-level expertise and top-of-the-line equipment to help you get the smile of your desire. You can book a consultation using the form below to discuss your dental care concerns.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
Dr. Sofia AravopoulouGeneral Dentist and Implantologist Europe
Dr. Sofia Aravopoulou is a DHA-licensed general dentist and implantologist with 18+ years of experience. She is an expert in Digital Smile Design (DSD) and currently serves as the Head of the Dental Department at the Euromed Clinic Center.Read more
Dr. Reem SawanDentist General Dentist General Dentistry
Dr. Reem Sawan is a DHA-licensed general and cosmetic dentist with several years of experience. She is an expert in advanced dentistry treatments, like Hollywood Smile Makeover and Digital Smile Design.Read more
Dr. Carla Cyrino | General & Cosmetic DentistGeneral Dentist
Dr. Carla Cyrino is a professional general and cosmetic dentist having 25 years of experience, licensed by the Dubai Health Authority. She specializes in cosmetic and restorative dentistry, Digital Smile Design, gummy smile correction, etc.Read more