Gum recession is the process of your gum tissue pulling away from your teeth, exposing the underlying root area. It is a form of gum disease that makes your teeth more vulnerable to decay and cavities. Moreover, your teeth will be more sensitive when you eat, drink, and brush. This gingival disease can affect one or more teeth and can be mild, moderate, or severe.
The gum recession doesn’t get reversed on its own. However, multiple gum recession treatments are available to help manage this problem.
Table of Contents
- 1 Symptoms of Gum Recession
- 2 What are the main causes of the gum recession?
- 3 Gum Recession Treatment Options
- 4 How much does it cost to get receding gums fixed?
- 5 What to expect from gum recession treatment?
- 6 Gum Recession Treatment FAQs
- 7 Book an Appointment
Symptoms of Gum Recession
Gum recession is generally identifiable through various signs and symptoms. Some of those symptoms are listed below.
- Hypersensitivity to heat and cold
- Teeth appear longer and the space between the teeth and gums increases
- Red and swollen gums
- Bleeding after flossing or brushing
- Loose teeth
- Foul-smelling breath
Having that said, many people with recessed gums do not show any of these symptoms. Such individuals generally come to know about their condition during a dental visit.
What are the main causes of the gum recession?
A myriad of factors can cause your gums to recede. Let’s overview some of those factors or reasons.
- Gum disease: Periodontal (gum) disease is the most common reason for gum recession. This disease originates from bacterial plaque buildup and an accumulation of food particles over the tooth surface. This injures and weakens gum tissues and causes them to lose hold of the tooth near the gum line, leading to gum recession. Adhering to daily oral hygiene practices can help prevent gums from receding.
- Genes: Gum recession can be hereditary. Usually, people who inherit this risk from their parents have thinner gums, which are more susceptible to pulling back from the teeth. Such people must practice good oral hygiene and be consistent with their dental visits.
- Aggressive tooth brushing: Brushing your teeth too aggressively or with a toothbrush with stiffer bristles can cause your gums to recede and tooth enamel to wear off.
- Poor dental hygiene: Inadequate brushing, flossing, and rinsing let the dental plaque solidify and transform into tartar. This plaque buildup irritates and injures the gum tissues and causes them to move back towards the jawbone.
- Hormonal changes: Women undergo hormonal changes when they enter puberty, get pregnant, or have a period. These hormonal changes or fluctuations increase the risk of gum recession.
- Tobacco products: Using tobacco products causes the formation of sticky plaque on the teeth’s surface and impairs blood flow in the gum tissues. As a result, the gums become more vulnerable to recession.
Gum Recession Treatment Options
Early treatment of gum recession is essential because it puts you at a greater risk of tooth decay and other dental problems that can lead to tooth loss.
At Euromed Clinic Dubai, we offer different treatments for receding gums to help you win back a healthy-looking smile. Our dentists and periodontists pick a treatment option depending on the root cause and severity of the problem.
Let’s have a quick overview of our gum recession treatment options.
Deep cleaning – also known as tooth scaling and root planing – is a non-surgical treatment to remove the plaque buildup from the root area below the gum line. This deep cleaning allows your gums to heal. Tooth scaling and root planing will help deal with mild cases of gum recession.
Laser periodontal treatment is a non-invasive and highly effective method to rid the gum line of harmful bacteria and eliminate diseased gum tissues from around the tooth root. This stimulates the gum tissue, helping it to regenerate.
Laser gum treatment is generally used with other methods, such as deep cleaning, for a more amplified treatment effect. The resultant tissue regeneration may help reverse mildly receded gums.
Gum recession surgery
The longer-lasting and more predictable option to treat receded gums is gum recession surgery. This surgery mainly involves using a gum graft to replace the missing gum tissue and cover the exposed root area. The graft is generally extracted from the roof of the mouth and is stitched into the place where required.
How much does it cost to get receding gums fixed?
The cost of Gingival recession treatment mainly depends on the degree of recession and the treatment method selected. As a rule of thumb, the earlier you get your recessed gums treated, the cheaper it will be.
What to expect from gum recession treatment?
The gum recession treatment and what to expect from it largely depend on the problem’s root cause and severity. In general, mild cases of gum recession can be treated and managed with non-surgical methods. However, your doctor will choose the surgical option if the gum recession is severe and significant gum tissue modification is required. The doctor may combine more than one treatment method in some cases.
Gum Recession Treatment FAQs
How can I prevent gum recession?
It is imperative to take care of your oral cavity if you want to prevent your gums from receding. Make sure to brush and floss your teeth daily and visit your dentist every six months. When brushing your teeth, ensure to use the proper technique. Also, avoid using a hard-bristled toothbrush to prevent your gums from getting irritated and injured. Some other ways to prevent gum recession are the following:
Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
Stick to healthy eating habits.
Pay attention to your overall well-being.
Take note of every change in your oral cavity.
Can receding gums be repaired without surgery?
Yes, two clinical treatments can help reverse mild gum recession. These methods are deep cleaning (tooth scaling and root planing) and laser gum recession treatment.
Can gum recession be cured?
There are no at-home methods to cure gum recession. You must get your receded gums treated at a reputable medical facility or dental clinic to reverse this problem.
Is gum grafting painful?
The gum grafting procedure is painless due to the topical anesthetic solution applied to the target area before the receding gums treatment. The effect of this solution lasts a few hours. When it wears off, you might feel a tingling sensation, which is generally pretty manageable.
At what age do gums start receding?
While gum recession can start at any age, older people are generally more susceptible to this problem. It is worth mentioning that aging is not one of the root causes of gum recession.
Book an Appointment
Not only does gum recession make your teeth weaker against bacterial attacks and other dental problems, but it also causes your smile to look less attractive. At Euromed Clinic Dubai, we offer different gum recession treatments to restore the aesthetics and safety of your teeth. So, if you want to get this treatment, please book a consultation using the online form below or through a phone call.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
- General Dentist and Implantologist Europe
Dr. Sofia Aravopoulou is a DHA-licensed general dentist and implantologist with 18+ years of experience. She is an expert in Digital Smile Design (DSD) and currently serves as the Head of the Dental Department at the Euromed Clinic Center.Read more
- General Dentist
Dr. Carla Cyrino is a professional general and cosmetic dentist having 25 years of experience, licensed by the Dubai Health Authority. She specializes in cosmetic and restorative dentistry, Digital Smile Design, gummy smile correction, etc.Read more