Botox, or Botulinum Toxin type A, is a neurotoxin that prevents a muscle’s movement by temporarily disconnecting it from its neural structure. This effect of Botox is medically utilized to achieve several cosmetic and healthcare goals in clinics all around the globe.
Botox treatment is one of the most popular ways to treat facial creases and wrinkles caused by repeated muscle movements during smiling and frowning. This treatment also helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles caused by skin aging.
Aside from reducing wrinkles, Botox may also treat multiple healthcare issues.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Does Botox Work?
- 2 Botox Treatment Areas
- 3 Other Applications of Botox
- 4 What Are The Benefits Of Botox Treatment?
- 5 What Are The Risks Of Botox?
- 6 Recovery After Botox Treatment
- 7 Results of Botox Treatment
- 8 How much does Botox cost in Dubai?
- 9 Is botox better than dermal fillers?
- 10 Consult our Dermatologists
How Does Botox Work?
When injected into the treatment area, Botox blocks chemical signals that cause target muscles to contract. Most of the time, the purpose is to relax muscles that cause wrinkles and creases on the forehead and other facial areas. Botox, with its same muscle-relaxing characteristic, helps treat several issues elsewhere in the body.
Botox Treatment Areas
Botox is an injectable treatment commonly used to treat issues with the upper face, areas around the eyes, and lower face. Here is a quick rundown of the problems you can address with Botox.
For the upper face:
- Forehead lines (also referred to as forehead furrows)
- Frown lines (lines between the eyebrows)
- Top of the nose (bunny lines)
For the eyes:
- Hooded eyes
- Crow’s feet (problem referring to the wrinkles around the eyes)
- The hollow area between the lower eyelid and cheek (tear trough)
For the Lower face:
- Chin dimples (also known as chin puckering)
- Lipstick lines
- Jawline and neck irregularities
- Gummy smile
- Problem with the jaw angle (bruxism or teeth grinding)
Other Applications of Botox
Botox is not just an effective cosmetic treatment but can also help with several healthcare issues. For example, it can help manage hyperhidrosis – a problem marked by excessive sweating. Botox treatment provides relief from this condition for about 8-14 months.
Other applications of Botox include the following:
- It reduces bladder incontinence.
- It helps prevent headaches and migraines.
- It reduces the impact of TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) disorder.
What Are The Benefits Of Botox Treatment?
Botox treatment provides several cosmetic benefits. They may also treat many healthcare conditions resulting from overactive muscular responses in certain body areas. The top benefits of Botox treatment include the following.
- They enhance natural beauty.
- The treatment with Botox is minimally invasive and quick.
- It helps treat or manage several medical conditions.
- This treatment is less expensive than most other cosmetic treatments.
What Are The Risks Of Botox?
Botox treatment is generally safe, provided you get it from a skilled doctor. However, some rare complications or side effects of this treatment include:
- Some pain and swelling at the injections site
- Drooling or a crooked smile
- Excessive tearing from the eyes
- Droopy eyelids
Recovery After Botox Treatment
Botox treatment is based on fine needle injections and requires no anesthesia. It doesn’t lead to downtime or recovery time. However, there may be minor bruising and swelling due to injections. These side effects are generally temporary and cause no significant disruption in routine life.
Please note that you should avoid rubbing or massaging the injection site after Botox treatment for at least 24 hours, as it can cause the injected Botox to spread to the surrounding areas. This can reduce the treatment’s efficacy.
Results of Botox Treatment
The initial results of Botox become visible as soon as 2-4 days after the treatment. You will get complete results in a week or two. These results last 3-6 months, depending on the treated area.
The muscle treated with Botox usually starts regaining its function after three months, gradually reducing the treatment’s effectiveness. At that point, a repeat Botox session will help maintain the treatment results.
How much does Botox cost in Dubai?
Botox is an injectable treatment generally priced per unit, and each unit costs 42 AED. So, the most significant cost determinant is the number of units administered. Several other factors also contribute to the total cost of botox treatment.
Is botox better than dermal fillers?
Both Botox and dermal fillers help treat specific cosmetic problems. For example, Botox treats fine lines and wrinkles, whereas dermal fillers “fill” hollow facial areas to give you a more plumped-up appearance. Hence, the effectiveness of either treatment depends on a patient’s particular requirements and circumstances.
Consult our Dermatologists
If you are considering Botox injections and have questions regarding this popular anti-aging treatment, schedule a consultation with one of our experts. You can do this by filling out the online form, calling us, or visiting our clinic.