According to the American Academy of Dermatology, it is normal to lose about 50-100 hairs a day. Each person has about 100,000 hairs on their head and losing the 50-100 hairs is barely noticeable. In addition to this, new hair grows thus replacing the lost hair. However, for some people, this does not always happen and it results in thinning hair. Hair loss or alopecia is a common condition that can affect the scalp or the entire body. For most people, hair is a sign of beauty and losing it can affect their self-esteem. Undergoing hair loss treatment in Dubai can help restore your hair back and regain your self-confidence.
Although hair loss is more common in older adults, it can happen to anyone including children. It is a condition that can occur abruptly or gradually over the years.
Table of Contents
- 1 Who is the best candidate for hair loss treatment?
- 2 What causes hair loss?
- 3 Treatments For Hair Loss
- 4 Hair Loss Treatment Expectations And Results
- 5 Hair Loss Treatment FAQs
- 6 Book An Appointment
Who is the best candidate for hair loss treatment?
Hair loss may be temporary or permanent depending on the underlying cause. That is why it is important to seek an expert’s opinion before embarking on treatment.
A good candidate for hair loss treatment is a person who desires to improve his/her appearance and is also experiencing:
- Thinning hair on the scalp
- A bald patch
- Receding hairline
- Thinning eyebrows, mustaches, and beard
What causes hair loss?
As mentioned above, hair loss occurs when the fallen hair is not replaced by new hair. There are different factors that contribute to hair loss, and they include:
- Genetics. The most common type of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia. Also known as male-pattern baldness and female-pattern baldness, it is a genetic condition that progresses with aging. It is characterized by bald patches and receding hairline in men and thinning hair along with the scalp’s crown in women. It occurs gradually over years and in predictable patterns.
- Supplements and medication. Hair loss can occur as a side effect of certain medications such as those used for depression, arthritis, cancer, gout, high blood pressure, and heart conditions.
- Medical problems and hormonal changes. Medical conditions such as alopecia areata can cause patchy hair loss, trichotillomania –a hair-pulling disorder, and scalp infections such as ringworms. Hormonal changes due to thyroid problems, pregnancy, and childbirth can also cause temporary or permanent hair loss.
- Radiation therapy to the head. After undergoing radiation therapy to the head, hair does not grow back like it used to.
- Hairstyles. Hairstyles that pull the hair tight can cause traction alopecia.
Treatments For Hair Loss
Depending on the underlying cause, hair loss can be reversed or slowed down. Treatment for hair loss includes:
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections. PRP is used to treat androgenetic alopecia. A type of hair loss that causes hair follicles to shrink. This treatment involves drawing a sample of the patient’s blood and putting it into a centrifuge machine. The blood is spun at a rapid rate which causes its components to separate. The platelets are then extracted for injection. PRP contains proteins and growth factors that reverse the damage done to hair follicles and helps regrow hair.
- Regenera Activa. Regenera Activa hair treatment involves stimulating the hair follicles using micrografts. In this treatment, micrografts are harvested along with growth factors from the scalp and transplanted into the treatment area. Regenera Activa slows down the hair loss process, activates natural hair growth, and treats androgenic alopecia.
- Medication. Hair loss medication treatments such as minoxidil can slow down hair loss and help in the regrowth of hair.
- ACell therapy. ACell is normally combined with PRP Hair regrowth therapy to treat thinning hair and hair loss. It involves using the patient’s blood to stimulate hair growth.
- Laser hair restoration. Also known as red light therapy or cold laser therapy, it irradiates photons into scalp tissue. The photons are then absorbed by weak cells and this stimulates hair growth.
- Hair transplant. This involves harvesting hair follicles from the side or the back of the head and transplanting them to the desired treatment area.
Hair Loss Treatment Expectations And Results
How effective a hair loss treatment is and its expected results depend on that particular treatment, the practitioner and how well the patient follows the post-treatment instructions.
The expectations and results of the above-mentioned treatments include:
- PRP. This is effective for renewing hair growth and a number of treatment sessions are needed before the results can be seen. The results usually start being visible in about 3 months. However, maintenance injections are required every 3-6 months depending on the cause of hair loss or how well the person is responding to treatment.
- Regenera Activa. This hair loss treatment has a short recovery time and the results usually begin to show after about a month. The results last for about 2-3 years after which the patients need a follow-up session.
- Medication. Hair loss treatment medications such as minoxidil take about six months before it starts to prevent further hair loss and encourage hair regrowth. To retain the benefits of this medication the patient has to use it on a regular basis.
- ACell therapy. ACell + PRP hair regrowth injections follow the normal hair growth cycles. This means that the results take about 4-8 months to be seen with remarkable hair growth improvement being visible in about a year.
- Laser hair restoration. Several sessions are required before the initial results can be visible. The results start showing after about 16 weeks.
- Hair transplant. It is normal for the freshly transplanted hair follicles to fall out within two to three weeks after the procedure to make way for new hair growth. New hair growth is usually visible 8-12 months after the procedure.
Hair Loss Treatment FAQs
How can I prevent hair loss?
Some forms of hair loss are genetic and it can be hard to prevent them. Eating a healthy diet, avoiding harsh hair treatments and chemicals, nourishing your hair with good hair food, and staying hydrated can prevent or slow down the hair loss process.
How can I regrow lost hair?
Lost hair can be regrown depending on the cause. Topical medication along with the above-mentioned hair loss treatments can help with hair regrowth.
What is the best treatment for women’s hair loss?
Women’s hair loss can be treated with medication, hair transplant, PRP, or hormonal therapy depending on the cause.
Can PRP grow new hair?
Most PRP hair growth therapy sees an improvement in new hair growth of between 30% to 40% after undergoing the treatment.
How to stop hair loss naturally?
Massaging hair oils such as aloe vera, coconut oil, fish oil, ginseng, onion juice, and rosemary oil in the hair on a regular basis can stop hair loss naturally.
Book An Appointment
It is important to always consult an expert before starting any sort of treatment. If you are experiencing hair loss and would like to undergo hair loss treatment in Dubai, feel free to book an appointment with our experts. You can schedule the consultation by calling us or filling out our online form.