An abscess is a form of skin buildup that contains pus and is caused by a bacterial infection. The most affected regions of the body include the underarms, back, legs, teeth, and around the groin. An antibiotic does not work alone to eliminate abscess; instead, a specialist should open and drain it for the best results. Incision and drainage of abscesses in Dubai can help get rid of these painful pockets of pus.
Table of Contents
- 1 What causes an abscess?
- 2 Why is it necessary to eliminate abscesses?
- 3 Procedure
- 4 Benefits
- 5 Who is the ideal candidate?
- 6 Pre-Procedure Care
- 7 FAQ’s
- 8 Consult an Expert
What causes an abscess?
Generally, the bacterial infection causes an abscess. Microscopic organisms can enter the skin if our natural skin boundary is broken from a minor injury, little tears, or irritation. When bacteria enter our body, our immune system commands the white blood cells to fight them in the affected area. Some healthy skin tissues can be damaged during this, creating a hole, which is then filled with pus and dead cells to form an abscess.
Some other causes of an abscess include exposure to a person with infections, living in a dirty environment, and an unhealthy diet.
Why is it necessary to eliminate abscesses?
There are several reasons why it is necessary to eliminate abscesses.
- Abscess becomes irritating and massive
- When it becomes painful
- If it is located close to the genitalia
- To remove the infection
The step-by-step procedure for incision and drainage of abscesses in Dubai is as follows:
- The area around the abscess will be desensitized with the drug. It is difficult to numb the region entirely, but local anesthesia makes the method relatively easy and pain-free.
- The affected area will be enclosed with a clean arrangement and sterile towels put around it.
- An expert will cut open the abscess and thoroughly empty it of pus and debris.
- Once the abscess has depleted, the specialist will wash it with saline water and keep it open for some time.
- After that, the specialist will place a wound dressing over the pus to prevent contamination and absorb leftover pus.
- In the end, a bandage will be applied over the treated area, and you will be given directions about home care.
What are the complications relating to the treatment?
- A hint of pain (severe in some cases)
- Scar formation
- Blood clotting
- Normally, the abscesses have greater regrowth ability
Depending on the severity of the abscess, the invasiveness of the procedure varies from patient to patient. In the case of smaller abscesses, the recovery period is minimal, and patients can resume their routine immediately after the treatment. However, when there is a larger abscess, the time required to recover from wounds and injuries is slightly longer.
If you encounter discomfort after the procedure, the specialist will recommend painkillers for home use for 1-2 days.
The incision and drainage of abscesses procedure make sure to eradicate the abscess. It helps protect the patient against the possible complications of an infection. Incisions to abscesses are intended to destroy their regrowth power.
Who is the ideal candidate?
Any individual who is suffering from abscesses and wants them removed.
Candidates must be careful with the affected area before getting the abscess drained. Some general pre-procedure instructions are as follows:
- Do not unnecessarily touch the area of the abscesses.
- Protect the buildups from exposure to bacteria.
- Do not rub or scratch the area.
- Regularly take antibiotics prescribed by the specialist.
Where can I get my abscess drained?
An urgent care center is the easiest and most common place to go for getting an abscess drained. Search for the nearest care center and schedule an appointment to get the abscess drained. The surgeon will take care of the rest.
How to treat an abscess after drainage?
Like every surgical procedure, abscess drainage also requires aftercare. The wound usually heals in 10-14 days. So, during this period, regular cleaning and rebandaging of the wound is recommended by the surgeon.
How do you lance an abscess?
A small incision is made over the abscess, and using a needle; the surgeon will drain the pus. The surgeon will insert a drainage catheter in the incision and leave it in place for a few days to completely drain the remaining pus and debris.
Consult an Expert
Our expert dermatologists can offer you the best possible incision and drainage of abscesses in Dubai. So, please book a consultation and allow them to examine your condition and recommend the best suitable option for you.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
Dr. Fazeela Abbasi MDPhysician Specialist Dermatology
Dr. Fazeela Abbasi has been in the field of dermatology since 2003. She is a DHA-licensed dermatologist specializing in advanced laser techniques, Botox, PRP therapy, rosacea treatment, etc.Read more