Root Canal Treatment (RCT) also known as endodontic therapy is the most common dental procedure and almost everyone is familiar with its name. More or less everyone has to undergo a root canal procedure once in their lifetime. Because of its negative reputation, many people are afraid of this very simple dental procedure, however, there is nothing to be afraid of.
With the advancements in dental practices, this procedure has now become very simple. Read on to know everything about root canal treatment including its cost, rct process, the pre, and post-care instructions, what to expect? how to recover quickly? and what results in you can get from this dental treatment.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
RCT is an endodontic dental procedure that refers to the cleaning of canals inside a tooth. In this procedure, the infected pulp from the inside of the decayed tooth is removed. After that, the hollow space is filled with a material that prevents any microbial infection in the future.
Who is a Candidate for Root Canal Treatment?
Anyone who is experiencing the following symptoms is a perfect candidate for this procedure
- Pain while chewing food
- A person has a tooth cavity and decay that is left untreated for a long time
- Feeling sensitivity pain while consuming hot and cold foods
- A person experiencing extreme pain in a tooth as well as the ear and head
- A gum infection that is left untreated for a long time
- The lymph nodes are tender and very sensitive to touch
- A person has swollen gums that bleed while brushing and eating
How Painful is Root Canal Treatment?
Despite all the negative reputation, the RCT procedure itself is painless. A simple anesthetic can help make sure the patient doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort during the procedure.
At EuroMed Clinic we offer painless RCT treatment thanks to our expert endodontists. Our root canal specialist in Dubai always makes sure you are comfortable during the procedure.
The Pre Procedural Treatment
At EuroMed Clinic our dental experts will take an X-ray of your affected tooth before starting the treatment. The X-ray helps the doctor have better insight to determine the spread and extent of the infection. However, there are no specific pre-procedural instructions for the patients.
Root Canal Treatment Procedure
After a careful assessment, the RCT is done on the date of the appointment. Here is the step by step root canal procedure for infected tooth nerve:
- The first step is to make an opening through the enamel and the crown with the help of a small dental drill
- After making an opening the canals of the pulp chamber that are filled with tooth decay and bacteria are cleaned.
- The canals of the affected tooth are then flushed out and dis-infected using some antiseptic and anti-bacterial solution
- A dental filling is then placed inside the hollow canals of the tooth
- After that, the tooth is sealed to protect it from future invasions
- A dental crown is placed onto the restored tooth to restore normal function
- The endodontist prescribes some antibiotics or analgesics as a remedy against pain. The medication can also speed up the healing process.
Root Canal After Care and Recovery
After the root canal procedure, your mouth and gums will remain numb for a couple of hours. The patient can go back to the daily activities after the procedure is complete. However, you need to be extra careful with the treated tooth before a crown is placed.
- Do not chew or try to use the treated tooth, this will help keep the area clean
- Chewing with the affected tooth can break the fragile filling and can pave the way for infectious bacteria
- Don’t miss out on the appointment of dental crown placement
- You may brush your teeth, floss, and rinse with a mouth wash normally after the RCT procedure
RCT Procedure Results
- About 95% of all RCT procedures are successful. The filling that is placed and the treated tooth may not require another treatment for a lifetime.
- Bad oral hygiene and not caring for your teeth can lead to deterioration of the sealing material that was placed. Once this material dissolves, the infection may happen again.
- An undetected crack or some other problem with the tooth restoration can lead to new infections. In order to get the best root canal treatment in Dubai visit EuroMed Clinic.
Root Canal VS Extraction
Root canal treatment to save the natural tooth is always a better option than a tooth extraction. It’s less expensive, less time-consuming, and requires fewer appointments with dentists.
If a tooth is extracted then it must be replaced with an implant, a bridge, then a crown to restore normal chewing. Only extracting a tooth without any replacement can lead to teeth shifting, jaw displacement, and infection in neighbouring teeth.
Cost of Root Canal Treatment in Dubai
Generally, the root canal treatment price and restoration process are much less expensive than the tooth extraction procedure. The cost of this very popular treatment depends on many different factors.
These factors include
- The complexity of the problem
- Number of teeth affected by the infection
- The expertise of the endodontist performing RCT
- The type of clinic and machinery used
- The location of the patient
To know the exact root canal treatment cost in Dubai, you can either fill in the online form or visit EuroMed Clinic to get a consultation.
How to Prevent Root Canal Treatment?
You can prevent going for a root canal treatment only if you follow the following steps:
- Maintain good oral hygiene by regularly brushing, flossing, and using a mouthwash
- Regularly visit your dentist for a full dental checkup to find and react to any signs of tooth decay
- Do not ignore any tooth pain. Consult your dentist if you experience any.
- Avoid sticky sugary foods and if you consume any brush and floss immediately after
Root Canal Treatment FAQ’s
How painful is a root canal?
The person who undergoes this procedure will not feel any pain because the treatment area will be numbed beforehand through local anesthesia. If the patient feels pain after the effects of anesthesia diminish, painkiller medication can be taken.
How long does a root canal take?
It can take (more or less) 90 minutes. Performing it normally takes less than an hour. At least two sessions are required to complete a root canal. In general, two sessions are enough to conclude the procedure.
Why do root canals take 2 visits?
Two or more sessions might be required to perform this treatment. During the first appointment, your dentist will remove infected nerve tissue. After doing so, the tooth will take some time to lose senses. During the second session, canals of the roots will be cleaned, sterilized, molded, and packed.
Do they put you to sleep for a root canal?
No, general anesthesia is not required because a root canal is a minor surgical procedure. Your dentist will only numb the area where the diseased tooth is located. In other words, local anesthesia will be enough.
Who is a Root Canal Specialist?
Endodontists also called root canal specialists receive 2-3 years of additional specialized training after dental school to become experts in root canal treatment.
Is tooth extraction better than root canal treatment?
Tooth extraction is never a good option, saving your natural tooth should be a top priority. Tooth extraction also costs more as it has to be replaced with an implant or a bridge along with a fake tooth and crown.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Enhances overall oral health
- RCT can save your natural tooth from extraction
- Very successful and cost-effective treatment
- Prevents the spread of infection in neighbouring teeth
- Restores the normal functioning of the tooth after a quick treatment
- The result is visually appealing as the new crown looks very good
- Helps prevent the jaw bone from degenerating and decaying
Get a Consultation
At EuroMed Clinic Dubai we have a team of the best root canal specialists in Dubai. Our endodontists are highly experienced in performing this very common dental procedure.
You can either visit our clinic or book a consultation by filling in the online form to get a consultation at EuroMed.
Check Out Our Specialist’s Profile
A member of the World Federation of Lasers in Dentistry and the International Society of Laser Dentistry amongst others, Dr. Sofia is fast becoming a name-to-know in the world of dentistry. In fact, Dr. Sofia’s mission is to create beautiful healthy smiles that will reflect her patients’ happiness to the world – and her expertise in Digital Smile Design (DSD) is a testament to her ethos. Dr. Sofia approaches every person as an individual and uses her knowledge and expertise as well as her personal care to exceed the needs and expectations of each one…Read more
Doctor Reem Sawan is a well-qualified general cosmetic dentist, she holds a doctorate in dental surgery. She has gained valuable experience and expertise in dental cosmetics while working at different government and private sector companies for about 7 years. Doctor Sawan also worked as a clinical supervisor and instructor for the Ajman University clinic. She excels in procedures such as digital smile design, smile makeover, Hollywood smile creation, cosmetic dentistry, and dental photography. She is also an expert in taking complete care of pediatric (children, infants) patients suffering from dental issues. She is very passionate…Read more