Scalp Micropigmentation or SMP is a cosmetic treatment that enhances the appearance of hair on the scalp using a tattooing-like technique. It is an alternative option for everyone who wants to improve their scalp appearance without hair transplant surgery. If you have a thinning hair problem or bald spots, this technique is suitable for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Scalp Micropigmentation?
- 2 Who is a Good Candidate for SMP?
- 3 Pre-operation Care
- 4 SMP Treatment Procedure
- 5 Post-Operation Care
- 6 Benefits of Hair Tattooing
- 7 Results
- 8 SMP Before & After Treatment
- 9 Scalp MicroPigmentation FAQ’s
- 10 Request a Consultation
What is Scalp Micropigmentation?
Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is a non-surgical and minimally invasive hair tattooing technique suitable for anyone suffering from excessive hair loss. Also, it is ideal for patients suffering from androgenic Alopecia. This technique involves depositing pigments into the scalp using microneedles which give an illusion of short hairs. Instead of cutting the scalp and transplanting hair follicles, it creates a shaved-head-like appearance with ink pigments.
Although it resembles the tattooing technique and is known as a hair tattoo, SMP does not use the usual tattoo ink for pigmentation. The ink used in the SMP technique is specially designed for the procedure and does not fade away over time.
Who is a Good Candidate for SMP?
You are the right candidate for scalp micropigmentation if you:
- Suffer from androgenic Alopecia.
- Have male pattern baldness or complete baldness.
- Want to have short or shaved hair.
- Cannot undergo hair transplant surgery.
- Have scars or burns on the scalp.
- Are a shaved head person and want to develop a hairline.
No extensive preparation is required for scalp micropigmentation. However, some general instructions are as follows:
- Wash your scalp with a soft and non-abrasive shampoo on the day of your treatment.
- Avoid using any gels, hair sprays, and fibers on the day of the treatment.
- You should avoid sun tanning because it leads to skin burning and peeling.
- Avoid using a razor on the scalp on the day of the treatment. If necessary, shave your hair 48 hours before the procedure.
- Share your medical history and medications with your practitioner.
- Quit taking blood-thinning medicines like aspirin.
SMP Treatment Procedure
Scalp micropigmentation or hair tattoo is a simple treatment that takes four to five hours. During the procedure, highly advanced pigments are administered to the dermal layer of the scalp at different depths and angles to mimic natural hairs. Your doctor uses a hand-held device with micro-needles of varying sizes to inject the pigment and create an illusion of shaved hair.
Before starting the procedure, the patient’s skin is thoroughly studied, and then a well-blended pigment is chosen. The pigment used during the procedure is safe and tested. Also, different colors are used to create an accurate combination of colors that match the patient’s actual hair.
You should follow specific guidelines after getting scalp micropigmentation treatment for quick healing. Some common instructions include:
- Do not rub your scalp or massage it soon after the treatment.
- Avoid touching the scalp unnecessarily for at least a week.
- You should not wash your head for a few days after getting the hair tattoo. Although the pigment is long-lasting and does not wash away, it takes some time to get stable in the targeted area.
- Protect your scalp from the sunlight for at least 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure. The UV rays of the sun are toxic to the pigment.
- Avoid heavy or strenuous exercises for at least five days after the treatment.
Benefits of Hair Tattooing
Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) has numerous benefits, which include the following:
- It helps you recreate a head full of hair.
- You can hide hair thinning and balding spots caused by Alopecia.
- It can add definition to the hairline and performs major cosmetic corrections.
- The results are long-lasting and natural-looking.
- There is no significant recovery time.
The patients require at least three to four sessions spaced 10 to 14 days to achieve the desired results. Scalp micropigmentation offers semi-permanent results, which means you will have to get touch-up treatments after 6 to 8 years. The pigment will fade over time as the skin exfoliates naturally.
SMP Before & After Treatment
Scalp MicroPigmentation FAQ’s
How much is scalp micropigmentation treatment?
Like any other cosmetic procedure, the cost of Scalp Micropigmentation also depends on variable factors, which include the following:
Area of the scalp
Extent of baldness
Therefore, only an expert can determine the exact cost of this treatment. Generally, the Scalp Micropigmentation Cost in Dubai starts from 2500 AED.
How long does scalp micropigmentation last?
The results of scalp micropigmentation can last for six to eight years. Therefore, SMP is considered a semi-permanent treatment.
Does scalp micropigmentation hurt?
The majority of the patients experience mild discomfort during the initial stage of the procedure. However, as the treatment proceeds, the discomfort becomes tolerable.
Is scalp micropigmentation a good idea?
Yes, scalp micropigmentation is a good idea for individuals who are not suitable candidates for hair transplants. Also, if you suffer from Alopecia, SMP can help you get a head full of hair. It is a medical tattooing technique that gives the appearance of freshly shaved hairs.
Do you have to shave your head for scalp micropigmentation?
No, shaving is not mandatory; it is your personal choice. Keeping a shaved head is unnecessary if you have a decent hairline and want to add density to your thinning hair or hide bald areas. However, if you are losing hair on the top of your scalp and have a receding hairline, it is better to shave your head.
Is scalp tattooing safe?
Yes, scalp micropigmentation or scalp tattoo is a completely safe technique for both males and females. The ink pigments used in the procedure are organic and deposited in the outer skin layer. So, there is no risk of side effects.
Request a Consultation
If you want to undergo Scalp Micropigmentation in Dubai, you should visit Euromed Clinic Center and consult our experts. An initial consultation with the specialist before the treatment will help you decide about the treatment. Also, you can learn more details about the procedure, such as its pros, cons, and cost. You can book your consultation session by filling out the online form or calling us at our provided numbers. Do not hesitate to contact us; we are just one phone call away.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
- Allied Health Technician Laser Hair Reduction
Dalya Sager is a DHA-licensed Allied Health Technician Laser Hair Reduction and former owner of a successful skin health clinic in the UK. Having worked in the healthcare industry for more than 20 years, Sager comes with a wealth of clinical expertise.Read more
- Allied Health Technician Laser Hair Reduction
Joyce Ann Casilang is an expert laser technician with years of professional experience. She is a DHA-licensed aesthetic laser technician specializing in different laser treatments like tattoo removal, hair removal, skin resurfacing, skin tightening, etc.Read more