Under-eye filler treatment is a minimally invasive treatment that uses dermal fillers to promote eye rejuvenation. This treatment mainly helps you eliminate under-eye bags, dark circles, or an undesired hollowing look caused by collagen loss or fat dissipation. Different filler solutions are used in this treatment to plump up and brighten the under-eye area, adding youthfulness to your face.
Table of Contents
- 1 Eye Filler Types
- 2 Who’s a Good Candidate?
- 3 Procedure
- 4 Recovery and Results
- 5 Under Eye Fillers Before and After
- 6 Benefits
- 7 Under Eye Fillers FAQs
- 8 Consult an Expert
Eye Filler Types
Mainly four types of filler solutions are used to rejuvenate the under-eye area.
- Hyaluronic acid-based fillers
- Poly-L-lactic acid-based fillers
- Calcium hydroxylapatite-based fillers
- Fat transfer
Let’s explain these briefly one by one.
Hyaluronic acid is one of the natural building blocks of skin tissues. Its deficiency can lead to dull-appearing or aged skin, particularly in the under-eye regions. Therefore, hyaluronic acid-based fillers may offer a viable fix to this problem. Although this filler is a synthetic gel-like substance, it resembles hyaluronic acid found naturally in our skin. Companies well-known for producing this filler are Belotero, Restylane, and Juvederm.
This synthetic but highly biocompatible material is injected under the eyes to stimulate collagen production.
This dermal filler solution is prepared using calcium and phosphate. This filler is known for boosting collagen production and supporting connective tissues. As a result, much-needed volume is added to the treated skin area.
Sometimes, the loss of fat under the eye can cause a tear through in the area where the lower lid and cheek meet. This aesthetic concern can be addressed using tear-through fillers made from the body’s own fat. The aesthetic surgeon pulls fat from one body area, processes it, and injects it into the under-eye region. The fat is generally extracted from the hip, abdomen, thigh, or buttocks.
Who’s a Good Candidate?
Under-eye fillers are suitable for anyone with a hollowing or darkening in the under-eye area due to aging, genetics, or stressful routines. In general, an ideal candidate for this treatment has:
- Sunken eyes that cast a shadow in the under-eye region
- Loss of fat causing the under-eye area and cheek to look separated
Having that said, the candidacy criteria of this treatment tend to be different for every individual. For example, smoking and vaping can hinder healing after receiving under-eye fillers. So, you may need to have a word with your doctor before this treatment if you are a smoker.
The procedure of administering under-eye fillers usually involves the following steps.
- The injection area will be marked and then sterilized using a cleansing solution.
- The aesthetician will then apply local anesthesia to the targeted area and wait for it to come into effect.
- After that, they will puncture the skin using a needle and then insert a cannula containing the filler solution into the under-eye region through that puncture. In some instances, the doctors inject the filler solution through the same needle that they used to puncture the skin.
- The treatment area is small in this scenario. So, only one or two injections are required in one session.
- The surgeon will smooth the area once the filler is injected.
Recovery and Results
The recovery after under-eye fillers varies from patient to patient. This is mainly because of different healing speeds among patients. Here is what to expect during the recovery after under-eye fillers.
- Under-eye fillers involve injections, which can cause bruising immediately afterward. This bruising is usually at its peak during the first couple of days and then subsides gradually in the upcoming days. Generally, it takes a couple of weeks for this bruising to disappear completely.
- Swelling is another side effect of using syringes to inject under-eye fillers. Like bruising, swelling is at its peak during the first couple of days but gets better in 4-5 days. You may continue to have milder swelling for a few weeks.
- Under-eye fillers may cause the treated area to look lumpy for a few days. This is perfectly normal, and this side-effect usually subsides in 2-3 weeks.
It generally takes 2-3 weeks for the injected filler solution to achieve hydration balance and come into effect. The longevity of this treatment’s results mainly depends on the type of filler solution used.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers improve the appearance of your under-eyes for 9-12 months.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite fillers usually last 12-18 months.
- Poly-L-lactic acid fillers deliver a rejuvenated under-eye appearance for two years.
- A fat transfer is longer lasting, with results holding up for three years.
Under Eye Fillers Before and After
You will relish the following benefits with under-eye fillers.
- Immediate restoration of volume under the eyes
- A noticeable reduction in the appearance of fine lines around the eyes, restoring the youthful skin appearance
- Reduced under-eye darkness
- A more balanced facial appearance
- An overall younger and more rejuvenated look
Under Eye Fillers FAQs
Are the results of under-eye filler treatment permanent?
No, the results of under-eye fillers are not permanent. These fillers may last one to three years, depending on the type of filler used.
Is the under-eye filler treatment painful?
Under-eye filler treatment is only minimally painful. This discomfort mainly originates from bruising caused by injections and is usually manageable.
Does the under-eye filler treatment stretch the skin?
Getting under-eye fillers multiple times in the same skin area carries some risk of skin stretching. Skilled aestheticians pay close attention to the treatment area whenever injecting fillers to ensure that your under-eye skin doesn’t end up losing its elasticity.
Consult an Expert
Do you want to discuss under-eye fillers and their effects on your facial appearance? EuroMed Clinic Dubai is here to help. Our aestheticians administer under-eye fillers skillfully to ensure that you have a perfect pair of eyes when the treatment results kick in. You can fill out the online form below to book a consultation during which you will be able to discuss everything from the treatment plan to its pricing.
Check Out Our Specialists Profile
- Allied Health Technician Laser Hair Reduction
Joyce Ann Casilang is an expert laser technician with years of professional experience. She is a DHA-licensed aesthetic laser technician specializing in different laser treatments like tattoo removal, hair removal, skin resurfacing, skin tightening, etc.Read more