Therapeutic circumcision is referred to as the surgical removal of the foreskin covering the tip of the penis. This procedure is usually performed on the first or second day of birth, but teenagers and adults can also have this treatment. Nevertheless, this procedure tends to cause some discomfort in adults. For this reason, they may need general anesthesia beforehand.
Most people go for circumcision for cultural and religious reasons. And although there has been some debate over whether circumcision is medically necessary, experts have discovered that the medical benefits of this procedure outweigh its complications. In general, circumcision is a safe and straightforward procedure, provided that you get it from a skilled practitioner. Hence, booking a consultation at a reputable healthcare clinic is necessary.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What are the benefits of circumcision?
Getting your child circumcised will go a long way toward better penile health and improved hygiene. Your child will be able to wash and clean his penis more easily.
Here is a quick overview of some of the top benefits of circumcision:
- The foreskin is susceptible to getting infected when stuck out of place. This infection can lead to several penis conditions, including balanoposthitis, phimosis, and paraphimosis.
- A circumcised penis is not an infection carrier. Hence, the female partners of circumcised men are at a lower risk of getting cervical cancer.
- Penile cancer is less likely to develop if your penis is circumcised.
- Circumcision removes the foreskin, a potential sanctuary for disease-causing microbes. Hence, this procedure reduces the risk of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.
- With a circumcised penis comes a reduced risk of urinary tract infections.
How is circumcision surgery performed?
The circumcision is performed by a highly-skilled urology team. When you arrive at the clinic, they will lay your child down on his back and restrain his arms and legs from preventing movement during the treatment. The doctor will then apply a numbing solution or local anesthesia to the penis. The entire circumcision procedure may take anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes.
The doctor will perform one of three methods to circumcise your son. Here is a brief overview of these methods.
Three methods of circumcision
The three most common methods of circumcision include the Gomco clamp, Plastibell device, and Mogen clamp. These methods basically prevent the blood from flowing into the skin fold once the foreskin has been cut off.
This clamp is a device specially made to ensure the perfect and more controlled cutting of the foreskin. This clamp consists of a round metal cap, a screw device, and a metal plate.
Before performing circumcision using this technique, the surgeon first secures informed consent.
Here is the detail of the steps involved in this procedure.
- The doctor administers local anesthesia or applies a numbing solution to the penis.
- Then, they expose the penis and clean it using an antiseptic solution.
- After that, they expose the glans penis by stretching the preputial opening and retracting the foreskin.
- They then apply a lubricant to the glans penis and put a metal cap over it.
- The skin fold is then stretched over the metal cap, but your doctor will ensure it is not a tight stretching.
- After analyzing and correcting the dimensions, the doctor places a clamp plate over the foreskin. As a result, the prepuce is squeezed between the clamp and the cap, seizing the blood flow to the foreskin. The doctor then cuts off the foreskin using surgical scissors or a scalpel.
- The clamp is then carefully removed, and an antiseptic dressing is applied to prevent infections.
Another quick and effective method of circumcision involves using a Plastibell device. This device consists of a small plastic ring that goes between the glans penis, prepuce – and a handle.
Here is an overview of the procedure involved in this circumcision technique.
- The doctor puts your child on a flat surface and constrains his legs and arms.
- Then, they administer local anesthesia to the penis.
- The doctor then uses a probe or slender surgical rod to separate prepuce from the glans penis.
- After that, they slide a Plastibell under the foreskin.
- And finally, they stretch the foreskin to bring it over the plastic ring and suture the skin under the glans penis to accelerate clotting.
Because of greater simplicity and effectiveness, a Mogen Clamp-based circumcision technique has gained traction in different parts of the world. The best thing about this procedure is that it doesn’t cause bleeding throughout its course. On top of that, the risk of post-op infection is minimal.
The Mogen clamp is a specialized tool that helps circumcise neonatal and older children. This tool uses two sharp blades of 2.5-3.0 mm.
- The first step, as always, involves laying down the baby on a flat surface and administering local anesthesia.
- Once the treatment area is numb, the doctor will use straight hemostats to extend the foreskin in order to expose the glans penis.
- They will then slide the Mogen clamp and keep moving it to the front of the prepuce until the glans penis is exposed.
- After that, they will cut the skin fold from the top of the clamp using a scalpel.
Generally, this technique eliminates the need for suturing in babies. Older children and adults may, however, require sutures.
How to take care of the treated area after circumcision?
You will get a complete set of instructions from a practitioner at Euromed Clinic Dubai. Some general instructions are as follows.
- Be sure to apply Vaseline to the treated area with every diaper change.
- Increase the frequency of breastfeeding for infants to help relieve pain.
- Ensure to wash the treated area to keep it disinfected.
How long does it take to recover from surgery?
Generally, the recovery after circumcision may take 8-10 days. The penis will be red and swollen during the first few days after surgery. You may also notice the development of a yellow film on the tip of the penis.
Are there any risks associated with circumcision?
Circumcision is a safe procedure that comes with a reduced risk of complications. The rare complications of this surgery include bleeding, infections, pain, and irritation. It is worth noticing that all these complications are avoidable if you get this treatment from a skilled practitioner.
What is the best age for circumcision?
According to a study, the best time to get your child circumcised if when he is less than one year old. Anesthesia complications are minimum at this time, meaning that there will be a reduced risk of complications.
How much does circumcision cost?
The cost of circumcision surgery will mainly depend on the person’s age and method used to carry out the procedure. If you want to know the price of this treatment, your best bet is to contact a skilled practitioner. They will guide you through their circumcision pricing plan.
Book a Consultation
If you want your child or yourself circumcised, be sure to consult a qualified practitioner at Euromed Clinic Dubai. Our urology department is equipped with advanced technology and knowledge to help you get your child circumcised in the safest way possible.