Have you ever heard of an abnormal Pap smear? If yes, then you must be aware of colposcopy as well. Colposcopy is a medical procedure that analyses the cervix of the woman. It is usually done when abnormal cells are found in the sample taken for a Pap smear test. Also, it is used to detect the cause of unusual vaginal bleeding.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Colposcopy?
- 2 What are the Uses?
- 3 When to See your Doctor?
- 4 How to Prepare for Colposcopy?
- 5 How is Colposcopy Performed?
- 6 What to Expect After Colposcopy?
- 7 Aftercare
- 8 Results
- 9 Colposcopy Cost in Dubai
- 10 Colposcopy FAQ’s
- 10.1 Can colposcopy be done during periods?
- 10.2 What information do colposcopists need to notify?
- 10.3 What happens after my examination?
- 10.4 When is a biopsy done during colposcopy?
- 10.5 What should I expect during recovery?
- 10.6 In Euromed Clinic, is Colposcopy Treatment Covered by insurance?
- 10.7 Why Euromed Clinic Best for colposcopy Treatment?
- 10.8 When will I get the results?
- 11 Schedule A Consultation
At Euromed Clinic Center, we offer colposcopy treatment to facilitate our patients in the best possible manner.
What is Colposcopy?
A colposcopy is a gynecological procedure used to assess your vulva, vagina, and cervix after the abnormal cells have been discovered in your cervical smear. It also determines if the elimination of abnormal cells is essential or not. Moreover, colposcopy investigates the reason for abnormal vaginal bleeding. It involves inserting a speculum into the vagina, after which a microscope with light is used to examine your cervix.
What are the Uses?
Colposcopy Dubai is used to diagnose;
- Cervical cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Inflammation of the cervix
- Genital warts
- Precancerous alterations in the tissues of the vagina or vulva
- Vulvar cancer
- Precancerous alterations in the tissue of the cervix
When to See your Doctor?
You need to immediately visit your doctor if you have noticed any of these symptoms.
- Severe abdominal pain
- Heavier bleeding than usual during your menstrual cycle
How to Prepare for Colposcopy?
Before getting a colposcopy in Dubai, you need to prepare yourself. During your initial consultation, our doctor will let you know if you need any special preparation. However, the following are some of the basic instructions.
- Don’t schedule your colposcopy if you are on your period.
- Avoid vaginal sex for almost two days before the procedure.
- Avoid using vaginal medicines for two days before the procedure.
- Take a prescribed painkiller before getting the procedure.
How is Colposcopy Performed?
Almost 15 minutes are required to perform the procedure, which consists of the following steps;
- You are asked to lie on a couch, and a device is inserted into your vagina. This device screens the current situation of the vagina.
- Then a colposcope is placed next to your vulva, and your vagina is revealed in bright light. It helps the doctor to examine the area properly.
- There is a possibility that a vinegar solution is applied to the targeted area to highlight the doubtful cells.
- A biopsy is recommended if suspicious regions are detected. Furthermore, if you are getting a biopsy, the pain depends on the kind of tissues being removed.
Here, you need to know that two kinds of biopsies are available. The one is cervical, while the other is named as a vaginal biopsy.
- If we talk about the cervical biopsy, it is not painful, but you may get cramping or mild discomfort.
- On the other hand, a vaginal biopsy is painful when performed in the lower area of your vulva. Therefore, your doctor may apply local anesthesia to numb the area.
What to Expect After Colposcopy?
After getting colposcopy treatment in Dubai, you will experience slight pain in the vagina for two days. Also, there will be mild vaginal bleeding or spotting for a few days. The vaginal discharge might also darken. However, these are all after-effects of colposcopy.
- You have to take the prescribed medicines regularly.
- Avoid vaginal intercourse or tampons for two weeks.
- Physical activities should be restricted.
- Do not miss the follow-up visit to discuss the results.
Before leaving the clinic, you should ask your doctor about the results. They will guide you in this regard.
Colposcopy Cost in Dubai
The average price of Colposcopy, at Euromed Clinic, starts from AED 3500 if performed without biopsy. However, with a biopsy, the cost starts from AED 4500. You can consult with the doctor to know the exact cost of the treatment.
Can colposcopy be done during periods?
Although colposcopy can be done even during menstruation, it is recommended not to opt for it in periods. You should avoid colposcopy on the day of heavy bleeding.
What information do colposcopists need to notify?
A colposcopist has to notify the patient’s screening test information, results of follow-up procedures, diagnosis of cancer, and treatment information regarding pre-cancerous abnormalities. The rules of different medical bodies differ in this regard.
What happens after my examination?
You will be alright after taking colposcopy without a biopsy. There will be some side effects and some care will be required if the colposcopy includes a biopsy. In case your reports point out risks, you will be asked to take more tests or any treatment.
When is a biopsy done during colposcopy?
If the professional identifies abnormal areas during colposcopy, the need for biopsy can arise. A biopsy is a more detailed analysis of the problematic area. With the help of a device, a small piece of tissue or cells will be removed from the cervix.
What should I expect during recovery?
The people who take colposcopy without a biopsy feel fine afterwards. The routine life will not get affected in this case. The person may have discomfort and pain for 1 or 2 days if colposcopy is performed with a biopsy. The pain medication prescribed by the doctor may help.
Some women will have bleeding and dark discharge (if medications are used) for a few days. The person may need to wear a sanitary pad until the discharge stops. As per the instructions of the professional, the routine life may affect. The will have to avoid putting anything into the vagina.
In Euromed Clinic, is Colposcopy Treatment Covered by insurance?
The rules of one insurance company differ from the other. Please ask your insurance company about colposcopy coverage. If your insurance company covers colposcopy, the Euromed Clinic will help you file your claims in a timely fashion
Why Euromed Clinic Best for colposcopy Treatment?
We are a state-of-the-art facility with the latest equipment and professionals to perform this important test. People visit us for great precision and accuracy of test results followed by safe and effective treatments.
When will I get the results?
If you have undergone a biopsy, it may take about four weeks to get the results. As soon as the lab is finished with the test results, they will send a copy of the report to you and your doctor. About 40% of women who take this test have a normal result which means they are low at risk of developing cervix cancer.
Schedule A Consultation
Scheduling a consultation before getting treatment is always recommended by the medical experts and our board-certified doctors. In this session, your expected results are discussed, and all your concerns and queries are addressed. In simple words, the initial consultation helps both the doctor and the patient to analyze the actual problem.
So, if you have any doubt regarding colposcopy treatment Dubai, go ahead and book your initial consultation with our experts. Here, at Euromed Clinic, all of our doctors are board-certified and have extensive experience dealing with different patients successfully! Fill in the following form, and book your appointment now!