Pregnancy is a unique experience that not only fulfils the woman but also poses some risks. Though all women are subject to certain pregnancy risks, some are more vulnerable to pregnancy complications. Some pregnancies are termed as high-risk due to the level of the risks they come with. Let’s discuss how high-risk pregnancy should be handled.
What is High-Risk Pregnancy?
A pregnancy becomes high-risk in some cases. If a person has a high-risk pregnancy, the risk of getting different health problems strengthens. In this situation, both mother and baby are at risk. In the latter part, you will read what risk factors are and how to handle this risky period.
What Are the Risk Factors for a High-Risk Pregnancy?
A pre-existing medical condition can be a reason for a high-risk pregnancy. Oftens, a medical condition starts during pregnancy that poses risks to the mother and baby. The following factors can increase risks during the pregnancy:
- Advanced Maternal Age: The pregnant woman may face more risk if she is aged 35 or above.
- Lifestyle Choices: Some lifestyle choices such as taking drugs, smoking, alcohol, etc. can increase the risk of complications.
- Medical History: Some pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma, infections can also make pregnancy risky.
- Surgical History: If the abdomen and uterus of the person have been through surgeries before, the person may face more risks than normal.
- Multiple Pregnancy. If a woman is carrying two or more babies, she is likely to face more risks and pregnancy complications.
- Pregnancy Complications: Some serious issues occur during pregnancy and such health conditions can disrupt the whole process.
What Steps Can I Take To Promote A Healthy Pregnancy?
If a woman knows about her high-risk pregnancy or she simply wants to be on the safe side, she can take many precautionary steps such as:
- Eat a healthy diet
- Wisely gain weight
- Get regular prenatal care
- Risky substances should be avoided
- Preconception appointment scheduling
Do I Need Special Tests?
The routine antenatal screening tests are fine but there are other techniques that can help avoid possible risks if a person is going through high-risk pregnancy. The doctors recommend one or more than one of the following to high-risk pregnancy person:
- Lab tests
- Biophysical profile
- Ultrasound for cervical length
- Chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- Specialized or targeted ultrasound
It is important to mention that the diagnostic tests such as chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis carry risks. Before you undergo a prenatal test, discuss the side effects and risks with your doctor.
Can I Have A Planned Home Birth?
It is not easy to know which pregnancies will turn out to be high risk. It is also hard to predict a high-risk condition during the pregnancy period. Due to this reason, planned home births are not recommended by experts. Routine visits to a gynecologist can help understand complications.
Reducing High-Risk Pregnancy Depression
The women suffering from high-risk pregnancy may suffer from anxiety. They may avoid seeing the doctor because they are afraid of hearing a bad news. Having anxiety and depression can affect the health of the baby and mother. Keeping busy is a way to avoid negative thoughts.
Things To Know About High-Risk Pregnancy
A gynecologist can help women handle pregnancy risks. Taking the necessary steps is to handle high-risk pregnancy is important to avoid labor and delivery complications. If a pregnant woman sees the following symptoms, she should consult a gynecologist at the earliest.
- Vaginal bleeding
- Severe headaches
- Decreased fetal activity
- Watery vaginal discharge
- Pain or burning with urination
- Lower abdominal cramping or pain
- Blurred vision and changes in vision
- Regular or frequent abdominal contractions
Handing High-Risk Pregnancy in Dubai
With the help of some of the leading gynecologists in the UAE, the Euromed Clinic Center Dubai helps women carefully handle the high-risk pregnancy. If you are likely to have a high-risk pregnancy, please do not worry anymore because we are here to help.
Have you got questions? Please book an appointment now and ask your question to an expert.
Book an Appointment Now
You may have questions about high-risk pregnancy and experts at the Euromed Clinic Center Dubai are always ready to answer. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime. You can directly speak to one of our gynecologists anytime.
We are just one call away! Please pick up the phone and dial our number to book an appointment. Alternatively, you can fill out the short online form on this website. Feel free to start a quick chat using our chat box.