Child development is an important process and doctors need to keep checking the health of the child throughout the pregnancy. Different techniques are used to ensure the mother and the baby are in the best possible health. Techniques such as obstetric ultrasound are used to observe the baby during pregnancy. Here is what it is and how it works. Continue reading to learn more about it.
What is Obstetric Ultrasound?
Obstetric ultrasound is a technique where sound or ultrasound waves are used to produce pictures of a baby. It is possible to take these pictures at any stage of the child development. Besides the baby, it is possible to observe the ovaries and uterus of the mother using the pictures captured by the machine.
No ionizing radiation is used in this technique; there are no known side effects. In fact, it is a common and preferred way to monitor the unborn babies and pregnant women. A Doppler ultrasound test (a way to check the blood flow in the placenta, umbilical cord, and fetus) is often combined with obstetric ultrasound.
In most of the cases, there is no preparation required for this examination. It is better to wear a loose dress to easily expose the abdomen area during the obstetric ultrasound. Leaving jewellery at home is a good idea. Here is how this wonderful technique works.
How does Obstetric Ultrasound Work?
The method for performing obstetric ultrasound in Dubai is simple.
- The procedure does not involve any pain and discomfort.
- After having the treatment, the patient waits for the review.
- The professional may press sonographer to get closer to the fetus.
- In most of the cases, the procedure takes about 30 minutes to finish.
- If a Doppler ultrasound is also performed, the person will hear a pulse-like sound.
- There is no downtime and the person will be able to continue the routine activities.
- If transvaginal scanning is also required, there may be some discomfort when the transducer is inserted into the vagina.
Benefits of Obstetric Ultrasound
This simple test can reveal great information from the inside of the womb. A pregnant woman can get the following benefits:
- It is reliable, risk-free, and inexpensive.
- It is a safe and procedure that delivers accurate results every time.
- It is a non-invasive and non-surgical technique – no needles or injections.
- It is not painful at all but the person may feel some discomfort in some cases.
- It is an easy way to see inside the uterus to know important pregnancy information.
- X-ray skips soft tissues but the obstetric ultrasound shows a clear picture of soft tissues.
- There have been no incidents of complications and side effects in the past forty years.
Also Read: How Obstetric Ultrasound Works
Reasons to Choose Obstetric Ultrasound
- Assess fetal growth
- Assess fetal well-being
- Evaluate the position of the fetus
- Estimate the age of the pregnancy
- Evaluate the position of the placenta
- Determine if there are multiple pregnancies
- Check for opening or shortening of the cervix
- Diagnose congenital abnormalities of the fetus
- Establish the presence of a living embryo/fetus
- Determine the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby
What is the purpose of performing an obstetric ultrasound?
The major purpose of performing an obstetric ultrasound is to confirm whether the patient is pregnant or not. During pregnancy, it is first performed at about six weeks gestation because it's hard to identify a heartbeat before that.
How many times do you get an ultrasound during pregnancy?
Normally, a doctor recommends an obstetric ultrasound twice during pregnancy. If the mother is healthy two ultrasound scans are enough to confirm the delivery due date (1st trimester) and determine the baby's sex (at 18-22 weeks).
When should you have an obstetric scan?
According to the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG), regular obstetric ultrasound scans should be performed between 18 and 22 weeks. It will help identify any abnormalities in the fetus growth and confirm pregnancy dating.
How do I prepare for dating ultrasound?
No specific preparations need to be done before a dating obstetric ultrasound. However, some clinics suggest the patients have a full bladder before coming in for a scan. It helps give a better picture inside the womb.
Do you get ultrasound results immediately?
A qualified professional for obstetric ultrasound provides instant feedback. In most ultrasound clinics, the scanned image of the fetus can be seen on screen and the person performing the scan gives verbal results immediately. However, the written report may take some time in preparation.
Obstetric Ultrasound in Dubai
Euromed Clinic Center Dubai is the most trusted healthcare provider in the UAE for all kinds of tests and treatments. Contact us for the most secure and accurate obstetric ultrasound in Dubai. If you have questions, our doctor or radiologist would love to answer.
Do you want to have an obstetric ultrasound? Book your appointment now to learn more about it.
Book an Appointment Now
If you are interested in obstetric ultrasound and want to learn more about it, please contact Euromed Clinic Center Dubai. Choose us to get accurate and reliable results. Book your appointment now by calling us or filling the short online form now.
Check Out Our Specialist’s Profile
Dr. Rupinder Kaur Ruprai MBBS, MD (Ob/Gyn), Assoc-RCOG, F.MAS, D.MIS, D. Repr Med, M.CosmeticGyne, MBA Specialist Obstetrician & Gynecologist President - SARG (Society of Aesthetic and Regenerative Gynecology) Member - ISCG (International Society of Cosmetic Gynecology) Head - ESAG-India Chapter (European Society of Aesthetic Gynecology) Scientific Member – ISGAR (International Society of Gynecology, Aesthetics, and Research) Associate Professor (Ob-Gyn) & Specialist Obstetrics & Gynecology (UK, European US, and Indian Board Certified) Dr. Ruprai has over 20 years’ experience providing functional, endoscopic, laparoscopic, reproductive, and aesthetic gynecological treatments. Her holistic approach is very popular with patients and extends to anti-aging medicine that incorporates hormonal balance…Read more
Dr. Sana Azeem is a specialist gynecologist and obstetrician. She was born in India, where she completed her education. She graduated from King George’s Medical College (now University) in Lucknow, India. Later, she completed her post-graduation (doctorate) in Obstetrics and Gynecology from Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Medical College (LLRM), Meerut, India. Due to her extensive experience in the field of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, she performs the OPD and surgical procedures skillfully and confidently. Besides these procedures, she is also an expert in the field of Aesthetic Gynecology, where she performs vaginal rejuvenation and tightening procedures.…Read more