Laying the foundations to good teeth is one of the most important things you can do for your child, as it can save them a lifetime of dental pain and unhappiness. Early Orthodontic Treatment is a key way that this good foundation can be built, and is highly recommended by the American Board of Orthodontics. Often referred to as Interceptive Orthodontic treatment, the overall goal is to reduce the severity of developing problems and to eliminate underlying causes.
What signs suggest that my child might need Early Treatment?
- Speech impediments
- Mouth breathing
- Continued thumb sucking after the age of 5
- Early or late loss of baby teeth (typically children lose baby teeth between the ages of 5-13)
- Crowded front teeth at the age of 7 or 8
- Protruding teeth
- Difficulties chewing or biting
- Shifting of the jaw when the child opens and closes their mouth
What will happen at an Early Treatment appointment?
At your child’s first orthodontic appointment, Dr Rasha will evaluate whether or not your child will need Early Treatment. Rest assured that Dr Rasha is a natural with children, and the appointment will leave them feeling confident and at ease within the orthodontic environment. After the initial assessment the length and specificity of treatment can vary greatly, but the knowledge that your child is getting the expert help they need is invaluable.
Why does Dr Rasha recommend Early Treatment?
Dr Rasha believes passionately in the importance of Early Treatment, and knows that the adolescent growth spurt is the best time to treat orthodontic cases. By treating a child’s orthodontic issues while their facial bones are still developing Dr Rasha is able to utilise this growth, which in turn leads to a more stable result and better aesthetic appearance. For patients who have indications of early orthodontic issues, Early Treatment offers an opportunity to:
- Reduce or eliminate abnormal swallowing and some speech problems
- Guide erupting permanent teeth to suitable positions
- Help eliminate harmful oral habits such as thumb and finger sucking
- Improve personal appearance, and as a result self-esteem
- Guide the growth of the jaws
- Potentially simplify or shorten treatment time for later comprehensive orthodontics
- Regulate the width of the upper or lower dental arches
The benefits are undeniable, and Early Treatment can help your child dramatically in later life. So give Euromed a call today, and let Dr Rasha begin your child’s orthodontic journey to happy and healthy mouths.