Osteopathy is a holistic, non-invasive manual therapy that targets the entire musculoskeletal system. By diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal issues, it promotes health across all body systems. The primary goal is to enhance the body’s self-healing mechanism by optimizing the nervous, lymphatic, and circulatory systems. Euromed® Clinic Center in Dubai offers a comprehensive range of osteopathic treatments.
Table of Contents
- 1 Who is an Osteopath?
- 2 How do Osteopaths Work?
- 3 When to Visit an Osteopath?
- 3.1 Osteopathy Lower Back Pain
- 3.2 Osteopathy Treatment for Shoulder Pain
- 3.3 Neck Pain Treatment
- 3.4 Chronic Pain Treatment
- 3.5 TMJ Pain Treatment
- 3.6 Colic Treatment
- 3.7 Scoliosis Treatment
- 3.8 Joint Pain Treatment
- 3.9 Knee Pain Treatment
- 3.10 Sports Injuries
- 3.11 Migraine Treatment in Dubai
- 3.12 Vertigo Treatment
- 3.13 Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- 3.14 Sciatica Treatment
- 3.15 Torticollis
- 3.16 Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc
- 3.17 RSI- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- 3.18 Craniosacral Therapy – Cranial Sacral
- 3.19 Tennis Elbow Treatment
- 3.20 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- 4 Pre-Procedural Instructions
- 5 Osteopathy After Care
- 6 Cost of Osteopathy
Who is an Osteopath?
Osteopaths are trained as medical doctors with a focus on a holistic approach to medicine. They earned the title of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO). Their training encompasses a wide range of techniques and manual approaches to improve not just the musculoskeletal system but also the body’s natural flow, which includes the function of arteries, veins, cerebrospinal fluids, nerves, and the lymphatic system.
Having more than 17 years of professional experience, Aziza Zubeidi is our resident Osteopath, providing consultancy during clinic hours.
Osteopathic manipulative treatments aim to restore balance in the body and facilitate the natural healing process. They involve manual therapy, which refers to the hands-on skills and techniques used to address issues in the body’s system.
How do Osteopaths Work?
Osteopaths predominantly use hands-on manual techniques to diagnose, treat, and prevent illnesses and injuries. These techniques include, but are not limited to, stretches, massage, and manipulative therapies. These methods aim to relieve muscle tension, improve circulation, and increase joint mobility.
Unlike most conventional medical doctors, osteopaths typically avoid using drugs or surgery. Instead, they prioritize a holistic approach, which considers the entire body rather than just the symptomatic area. They believe that many physical problems are rooted in the musculoskeletal system and that addressing these foundational issues can lead to improved overall health.
In addition to primary treatments, osteopathic manual therapy can complement other medical treatments. It can work in tandem with conventional medical care to enhance healing and ensure balance within the body.
When to Visit an Osteopath?
You should visit an Osteopath Clinic in Dubai if you are experiencing any of the following problems:
Osteopathy Lower Back Pain
The treatment of your lower back pain will depend on the diagnosis. In general, three treatment options are available to treat lower back pain.
You may be prescribed specific pain medications or advised to use over-the-counter drugs to manage your lower back pain. Here is a list of the standard options:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Muscle relaxants
Physiotherapy is a conservative method usually prescribed before considering more aggressive treatment options, including surgery. The primary goals of physiotherapy are to relieve pain, improve function, and help the patient learn maintenance techniques to prevent back pain in the future.
Here are the most common types of physiotherapy for back pain:
- Active Physical Therapy
- Passive Physical Therapy
Your doctor will prescribe the surgical option if your back pain doesn’t improve with non-surgical methods. However, it is almost always the patient’s call whether or not to have surgery. The most common surgeries to resolve back pain are Lumbar Microdiscectomy and Lumbar Laminectomy.
Osteopathy Treatment for Shoulder Pain
Regardless of what caused pain in your shoulder, osteopathy can help treat the discomfort and help you with your shoulder’s complete range of painless motion. This helps reduce shoulder pain due to the following problems:
- Acromioclavicular joint injuries
- Rotator cuff injury or tears
- Tendon impingement
- Postural dysfunction
- Acute soft tissue injuries
Neck Pain Treatment
The Osteopath performs a detailed physical examination to identify the weak areas and underlying causes of neck pain. Once they are sure that Osteopathy is a suitable treatment, they consider a variety of techniques. The treatment is personalized according to the condition of the patient. However, some common osteopathic neck pain treatments in Dubai are:
- Soft tissue massage
- Muscle stretch and strengthening
- Advice regarding postures
Some of these treatment methods are gentle while others are forceful, but all these methods restore the normal function of the neck. Your Osteopath can also recommend some scans, tests, or X-rays to diagnose the cause of neck pain.
Chronic Pain Treatment
Our osteopaths address chronic pain issues with a special technique called Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT). Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) is a popular technique used in osteopathic medicine for chronic pain management. It includes a variety of techniques, including the following:
- High velocity or low amplitude thrust
- Muscle energy
- Direct myofascial release
- Visceral manipulation
The osteopaths move your muscles and joints by applying gentle pressure with their hands. They locate the hurting areas with their hands thus helping in the diagnosis. This technique is also referred to as healing touch. The basic aim of OMT is to improve blood circulation that naturally triggers the body’s healing ability.
TMJ Pain Treatment
TMJ stands for the Temporomandibular Joint that links the jaw to the head. There is one TMJ joint on each side of the face. Osteopathy for TMJ Dubai is a non-invasive approach to reduce pain. An osteopath treats the TMJ pain by;
- Using soft tissue technique that loosens up the tight muscles that might be causing tension or pain.
- Treating restrictions in jaw movement and restoring the accurate movement of the temporomandibular joint.
- Correcting the poor neck and upper back postures that cause tightness and joint restriction in the muscles and joints.
- Suggest stretches and exercises that help alleviate pain and prevent the recurrence of pain.
Colitis is a condition that causes abdominal discomfort, excessive crying, and difficulty settling down among babies. It affects both the sleep and feeding of the baby. Colic is not harmful and usually resolves within the first year of life. Osteopathy for colic, combined with medication, can help reduce the symptoms of colic.
Osteopathy for colic in Dubai is a gentle treatment that makes the babies feel relaxed. They often sleep after getting the treatment. It treats the latching problem that makes the feeding easier. Quite often, osteopathy treatment for colic is combined with medication depending on the baby’s condition.
The osteopathic techniques focus on the following areas;
The Gut – Osteopathic techniques are used to remove wind and empty the bowels.
The diaphragm and rib cage – The rib cage is balanced, and the torsion is released through the diaphragm with the help of osteopathic techniques.
The head, neck, and mouth – Osteopathy for colic Dubai releases the tension in the neck and around the tongue. It allows the baby to suckle easily by bringing in less wind.
Spinal tension – Colic can sometimes cause visceral tensions that lead to spinal tensions. As a result, the movement of the back and neck also gets affected. Osteopaths can solve this condition with the help of some osteopathic techniques.
Scoliosis subsides when your child grows into a teenager. However, progressive scoliosis worsens with age. Multiple methods are available to treat or manage this condition. Your doctor will choose a treatment plan depending on its ability to solve your problem and the problem’s severity. The most common scoliosis treatment options are:
- Brace Treatment
- Osteopathic Treatment
Joint Pain Treatment
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint condition that mainly affects the joints of the hands, feet, hips, spine, and knees. It commonly occurs after a person turns 50 and is more prevalent among women. In this condition, the discs of cartilage between the bony joint surfaces start thinning, which results in pain and inflammation in the joints.
Osteopathic treatment for arthritis is tailored according to the requirements of each patient. Still, mentioned below are some common techniques that are used for joint pain or arthritis treatment.
- Soft tissue Massage
- Myofascial release
- Muscle energy release technique
- Visceral treatment
- Articulation and mobilization of joints
Knee Pain Treatment
Among the knee pain treatments in Dubai, the Osteopathic approach is considered a non-surgical treatment option. Osteopathic physicians use manual techniques, such as manipulation and stretching, along with other therapies to address musculoskeletal issues and promote healing. The basic aim of osteopathy is to improve your knee movement and function and cure the pain. An osteopath
- Provides sufficient cushioning in the knee using injection therapy.
- Utilises suitable injection therapy to alleviate fluid accumulation in the knee joint.
- Strengthens weak ligaments with the help of prolotherapy.
- Helps provide the appropriate growth factors required to rebuild cartilage.
- Treats the affected muscles and fascia using osteopathic manual therapy.to improve posture.
Osteopathic Treatments for Knee Pain
The following treatments can be used to treat knee pain using osteopathy:
- Myofascial Release
- Soft-tissue muscle manipulation
- Muscle energy techniques
- Articulation techniques
- High velocity, low amplitude adjustments
- Trigger point injection therapy
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy
- Visco-supplementation therapy
Osteopathy for sports injuries in Dubai primarily treats conditions that affect muscles, bones, and joints. It involves moving, stretching, and massaging muscles and joints within the body. It involves a set of treatments which are listed below:
- Ice or heat therapy
- Soft tissue massage to reduce swelling and relax tight muscles.
- Joint mobilization techniques to strengthen the muscles and increase their length
- Exercises for improved balance and coordination.
- Stretches to loosen up the tight muscles and increase the range of motion.
- Your osteopath may also advise you on your diet to help you recover after an injury.
Migraine Treatment in Dubai
Migraine treatment includes both preventive measures to reduce the frequency and severity of attacks and acute treatments to alleviate the symptoms during an episode. Moreover, clinical treatments, therapies, and medications are also proficient in yielding relief to the sufferer. Whatever the case may be, you need to consult a qualified headache doctor in Dubai and not attempt the following treatments on your own for migraines.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Botox injections
- Prescription medications
- Lifestyle Modifications for Migraine Management
- Relaxation Techniques for Migraines
- Therapies for Migraines
Vertigo refers to a condition in which the patient feels lightheadedness, giddiness, and imbalance. It is one of the common types of dizziness that gives an illusion of movement without actual movement. You feel like your head or the surroundings are spinning. With Osteopathy for vertigo in Dubai, this condition can be treated without any drugs or surgery.
The most common treatment used for vertigo is known as Vestibular Rehabilitation.
Vestibular rehabilitation is a physical therapy that helps strengthen the vestibular system. It improves balance and reduces the symptoms that are related to dizziness.
Some other treatment options include;
- Repositioning manoeuvres
- Lifestyle changes
Post Surgical Rehabilitation
The osteopaths specialize in treating impairments and promoting mobility that restores the normal functioning of the body. For this purpose, they utilize a combination of manual techniques that facilitate movement. They devise a customized rehab plan and an exercise program that is tailored to your needs.
Osteopathy for post-surgical rehabilitation in Dubai includes the following techniques:
Shockwave Therapy – It is an effective technique that speeds up recovery, restores mobility, and offers quick pain relief.
Soft Tissue Massage – In this technique, a professional osteopath manipulates the soft tissues of your body and applies varying degrees of pressure. Soft tissue massage helps in reducing post-surgical pain and improves mobility.
Clinical Pilates – It is a kind of physical exercise that emphasizes the body’s posture, balance, strength, and flexibility.
Sciatica treatment refers to the pain, inflammation, and neurological sensations that are linked to the sciatic nerve. People suffering from sciatica feel pain radiating downwards in the back of their legs. The intensity of pain varies from a dull ache to a shooting pain that can paralyze you for a moment. Usually, severe cases of sciatica can be treated with surgical intervention, but osteopathy is also a suitable option.
Several studies have shown that osteopathy for Sciatica Dubai is an effective treatment option. It utilizes gentle techniques that patients can easily tolerate. The osteopathic treatments used might be a combination of:
- Manual Joint Manipulation
- Muscle or tendon manipulation
These techniques reduce the pressure on the Sciatic nerve, decrease muscle spasms and reduce Sciatic nerve pain. In addition to this, they also improve joint movement and overall spinal movement. After reducing the pain, the osteopaths focus on rehabilitation and recovery exercises to prevent repetitive episodes of pain in the future.
Torticollis is a condition in which an infant’s neck muscles are tight, causing the head to tilt or turn to one side. If a baby consistently has their head turned or bent to one side and struggles to turn their head in the opposite direction, they might have torticollis. This condition can be treated with osteopathic care.
Osteopathy for torticollis Dubai aims to minimize the tensions inside the infant’s body that might be caused due to trauma during birth. An osteopath selects treatment after a detailed physical examination and analysis of the medical history.
Once the cause of torticollis is diagnosed, the osteopath uses gentle and non-invasive techniques to give mobility to the baby’s body. In most cases, the imbalance is not in the cervical area only. It can be in the pelvis, spine, or abdomen too. Therefore, an osteopath can work on any of these areas.
In osteopathic treatments, one primary aim is to correct anatomical dysfunction for improved functioning. It is an osteopath’s job to restore the position of bones in a baby’s skull. It helps release pressure off the nerves, which enables the baby to correct its posture and shape of the head.
Some other treatment options for torticollis include;
- Neck Exercises
- Gentle stretches
- Physical therapy
- Surgery of the SCM
- Craniosacral Therapy CST
Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc
A prolapsed intervertebral disc is commonly known as a slipped disc, herniated disc, or lumbar disc prolapse. It is a spinal condition in which a portion of soft central disc material oozes out through a tear in the disc capsule. It happens under pressure, and the prolapsed disc material compresses the spinal nerve root causing pain down the leg (a condition also known as sciatica).
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) is used to correct the slipped disc disorder. It involves different techniques for different patients. Your osteopath can utilize any of the following remedies under osteopathy for prolapsed intervertebral disc Dubai:
- Traction combined with Manipulation
RSI- Repetitive Strain Injuries
Osteopathy for repetitive strain injuries in Dubai minimizes the symptoms and relieves pain through postural rebalance. It improves conduction and mobility by reducing pressure on the median nerve. Osteopathy not only treats the symptomatic area but also looks for other areas. If you suffer from repetitive strain injury in the forearm, an osteopath will ensure that your elbow, shoulder, and neck are functioning properly.
Osteopathy stimulates the drainage of toxins, releases tension, and improves the circulation in the affected area. Moreover, your osteopath will also guide you about the exercises and ways to avoid the problem in the future.
Craniosacral Therapy – Cranial Sacral
Craniosacral therapy refers to a gentle osteopathic technique that examines fluid movement and membranes in the central nervous system. It is a gentle hands-on therapy that involves light touch and removes tension in the central nervous system. In this way, cranial osteopathy in Dubai eliminates pain and boosts your immunity.
Tennis Elbow Treatment
Osteopathic treatment can help with significant tennis elbow pain relief. This treatment typically involves the following steps.
- After being diagnosed with tennis elbow, the first thing you have to do is stop the problem-causing activity. You can apply ice to help subside the pain.
- Your osteopath will call you for a clinical visit, during which they will apply gentle pressure to the forearm muscles and other areas contributing to or affected by the pain.
- During the same appointment, they will formulate instructions regarding how to take care of the injury as well as exercises you must perform to promote healing and prevent pain’s re-occurrence.
- The therapist will also suggest changes to the activity that has been the cause of the problem. This change may be related to your training or other daily activities.
- In the end, your healthcare provider may suggest measures to reduce inflammation.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is the compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel. This carpal tunnel opens into your wrist area and is formed by the carpal bones located at the bottom of the wrist and the transverse carpal ligament near the wrist top. The job of the median nerve is to support sensory and motor functions in the thumb and three middle fingers. Compression of this nerve can cause irritating symptoms.
Osteopathic medicine is a non-invasive treatment that can be used as a standalone procedure or combined with other methods to treat CTS. Here is a brief overview of the steps involved in CTS treatment with osteopathic medicine.
- Your osteopath will run a complete diagnostic procedure to gather all the details of your problem. They do this to avoid applying and suggesting wrong stretches that might further aggravate the condition.
- After that, you will likely be instructed to stop the activity that caused carpal tunnel syndrome. The practitioner may also prescribe using a sprint to prevent problematic arm movement.
- After determining the cause of the problem, your osteopath will apply gentle pressure to the forearm, wrist, and other areas linked to or contributing to the problem.
- You will get complete instructions regarding how to take care of your injury and how to perform rehabilitation exercises at home to promote healing. At-home treatment instructions may vary for every step of recovery, so pay timely visits to your osteopath.
- You will also get instructions to change or reduce the activity that contributed to the problem.
- It’s good to bring your medical history documents with you on the day of the appointment. Your medical history will give your doctor a better understanding of your health.
- Wear flexible clothing that can be easily removed while diagnosing your health issue.
- Talk to your practitioner if you have a problem removing clothes from specific body areas.
Osteopathy After Care
Post-care treatment can ensure long-lasting results of osteopathic treatment. Here is what you need to do after the treatment session:
- Gently move the treated muscles and bones and do a little exercise every day. Find a happy medium between too little or too much exercise, and don’t overdo it.
- Stay well hydrated and keep your muscles relaxed at all times.
- Use ice packs or gel heating pads as per the recommendation of your osteopath. It will help reduce pain, and swelling and prevent any adverse reaction.
- Don’t overstimulate your muscles and avoid strenuous exercise after the treatment.
Benefits of Osteopathy
The following are some significant benefits of Osteopathy Dubai:
- It can reduce pain and swelling caused by arthritis.
- Provides relief from foot pain, ankle pain, joint pain, knee pain, back pain, and sciatica.
- It helps to get rid of migraines, headaches, neck pain, and shoulder pain.
- Treats digestive issues, neuralgia, and postural problems.
- Offers a non-surgical solution to the problems related to muscles, bones, and joints.
Cost of Osteopathy
The starting cost of Osteopathy in Dubai is around 300 – 800 AED (per hour). However, the exact cost of this treatment depends upon different factors. These factors include:
- The location of the clinic
- The type of treatment being used
- The expertise of the osteopath
Visit Euromed® Clinic today to know the exact cost of Osteopathy treatments.