Are you struggling with knee pain and seeking a panacea to manage the pain and start living a happy life? Undoubtedly, constant knee pain can be highly troublesome and occasionally limit your mobility. Moreover, the complexity of the knee structure poses a challenge for conventional doctors in identifying the underlying cause of the pain. Therefore, we offer specialized knee pain treatment in Dubai under the supervision of qualified orthopedic specialists and physiotherapists.
Table of Contents
Causes of Knee Pain
Knee pain is a common musculoskeletal condition among individuals. It can affect people of all age groups and is chronic or acute in nature. There are many causes of knee pain because the knee structure has various components such as bones, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and muscles. The following are some of the internal and external causes that can contribute to knee pain:
- Osteoarthritis: it is the most common type of arthritis where the cartilage within the joints begins to break, leading to changing the underlying bone.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: it is an auto-immune condition in which your body attacks its own tissues.
- Ligament Injury: An injury that can occur when your leg is unable to turn or twist.
- Meniscus Injury: Meniscus Injury is an injury that can occur when your leg twists during sports or with aging.
- Tendonitis: tendon attaches bone to muscle. When inflammation or irritation occurs in the tendon, it is called tendonitis.
- Chondromalcia Patellae: it occurs when the cartilage on the underside of the knee breaks, resulting in swelling and pain.
- Osgood – Schlatter disease: a condition that causes swelling and pain below the knee joint.
- Prepatellar Bursitis: in this condition, the busra begins to produce too much fluid due to irritation.
- Patella Subluxation: Patella Subluxation is most commonly caused by weakness or tightness of the muscles in the hips and thighs, which later affects the movement of the knee.
- Sports injuries: injuries occur during sports activities.
- Accidental injuries
Any of the factors mentioned above can cause pain, swelling, and tenderness in the knee. If you have knee pain, you may also experience limited motion in the knee joint. Moreover, you may hear popping or clicking sounds within the knee.
Osteopathic Diagnosis of Knee Pain
The first step of an osteopathic knee pain treatment in Dubai is a detailed diagnosis. The osteopath identifies the underlying cause of knee pain and corrects the knee’s mechanical imbalance. During the consultation session, which includes orthopedics and physiotherapists, they will take your complete history, including:
- Past injuries
- Previous surgeries
- Health concerns or illnesses
They will examine your knee to assess the pain, swelling, and visible bruising.
They will make you walk to examine how your knee joints and muscles are working.
For fractures and the pattern of fractures, the consultancy board can conduct X-rays, MRI, and CT scans on the knee for more precise results.
Knee Pain Treatment in Dubai
There are two holistic approaches that the doctors recommend for knee pain treatment in Dubai; Surgical treatments and non-surgical treatments.
Surgical Treatments for Knee Pain
Depending on the severity of the pain and the actual condition of your knee, the orthopedic will carry out knee surgery according to your requirements.;
Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA)
Also known as total knee replacement, this surgical procedure involves replacing a damaged or worn-out knee joint with an artificial prosthesis or joint.
During the procedure, the damaged ends of the thigh bone and shin bone are removed and the surfaces are shaped to fit the artificial joint. The artificial joint consists of metal and plastic parts. In some cases, the undersurface of the kneecap (patella) may also be replaced with a plastic component.
Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty
As the name suggests, partial knee replacement works differently from total knee replacement. In this procedure, the orthopaedic surgeon removes the damaged surfaces of the knee joint, including cartilage and bone, and then replaces them with metal and plastic implants.
Arthroscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgical procedure in which the surgeon inserts an arthroscope, a small camera, into the knee through small incisions to visualise the interior of the knee. After diagnosing the issue, the surgeon repairs damaged ligaments, removes torn-out cartilage, and clean out any debris.
Microfracture surgery is carried out to stimulate the healing process of worn-out cartilage. During the procedure, the surgeon makes small holes in the shin bone to allow blood and bone marrow cells to flow into the damaged area. Orthopedic surgeons perform this surgery usually to treat cartilage defects in the knee, but it can be carried out in any joints as well.
During meniscal transplantation, the surgeon removes the damaged meniscus from the knee and then replaces it with the patient’s own meniscus.T
Tendon repair surgery is carried out when the tendon is completely or partially damaged. During the treatment, the surgeon will make a small incision over the area of the damaged tendon. After that, the damaged tendon is repaired according to the requirements. In cases where the tendon ends are severely retracted or frayed, additional techniques may be employed, such as tendon grafts or augmentation with other tissues or synthetic materials.
Non-Surgical Treatments for Knee Pain
What is an Osteopathic Approach for Knee Pain Relief?
Osteopathic approach for knee pain relief is a non-surgical treatment option. Osteopathic physicians use manual techniques, such as manipulation and stretching, along with other therapies to address musculoskeletal issues and promote healing. The basic aim of osteopathy is to improve your knee movement and function and cure the pain. An osteopath
- Provides sufficient cushioning in the knee using injection therapy.
- Utilises suitable injection therapy to alleviate fluid accumulation in the knee joint.
- Strengthens weak ligaments with the help of prolotherapy.
- Helps provide the appropriate growth factors required to rebuild cartilage.
- Treats the affected muscles and fascia using osteopathic manual therapy.to improve posture.
Osteopathic Treatments for Knee Pain
The following treatments can be used to treat knee pain using osteopathy.
- Myofascial Release
- Soft-tissue muscle manipulation
- Muscle energy techniques
- Articulation techniques
- High velocity, low amplitude adjustments
- Trigger point injection therapy
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy
- Visco-supplementation therapy
Knee Pain Treatment FAQs
How to manage knee pain?
In addition to osteopathic treatments, your osteopath may also suggest ways to manage knee pain and facilitate recovery. These ways include;
Use of heat and ice packs
Heating or cooling creams
Using a compression support
In addition to this, maintaining normal body weight is also essential because the knee is a weight-bearing joint. Excess body weight can cause pain as it increases the amount of force placed on the knee.
How can chronic and acute knee pain be managed?
Chronic knee pain can be managed by reducing sports activities such as basketball, tennis, or jogging. Additionally, swimming is beneficial in reducing chronic pain.
For acute knee pain, you may need to temporarily stop a specific activity until the pain subsides.
Get a Consultation
At Euromed® Clinic, we offer the best knee pain treatment in Dubai to ease your discomfort. Our osteopaths are highly qualified and experienced. They will examine your knee and diagnose the factor causing knee dysfunction before recommending a treatment. You can discuss your condition with our experts in detail. So, fill in the form below, and we will schedule your consultation immediately.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Practitioner Osteopathy
Aziza Zebeidi is an osteopath with over 17 years of experience. She has served at some prestigious clinics in the public and private sectors. Recently, she has started incorporating capnometry in her treatments, elevating patients’ experience.Read more