TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint that links the jaw to the head. There is one TMJ joint on each side of the face. You can easily feel this joint moving in front of the ears when the mouth is opened. If you are experiencing pain in these regions, there are chances that you suffer from TMJ dysfunction. TMJ pain is distressing as it affects your eating, drinking, and talking. There are many ways to treat TMJ pain, and Osteopathy is one of them.
Table of Contents
Osteopathy for TMJ Dubai is a non-invasive approach to reduce pain. It improves the mechanics and minimizes the tension around the jaw muscles and the TMJ joint.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder
If you suffer from TMJ dysfunction, you might be noticing the following symptoms:
- Jaw clicking
- Trigeminal neuralgia (sudden facial pain)
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or drinking
- Pain in the face or jaw
- Pain in muscles controlling the jaw movement
- Neck or shoulder pain
- Jaw tenderness
- Pain behind the eyes
Causes of TMJ Pain
Mentioned below are some of the factors that can cause TMJ disorder;
- Malocclusion – a condition where your teeth do not align when you close the mouth
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- Postural problems
TMJ Pain Treatment
The TMJ pain treatment in Dubai is chosen based on the cause of the disorder. If you are experiencing TMJ pain due to postural or muscular issues, osteopathic treatment is the right option. The osteopath will suggest some exercises that will relieve the pain. However, if the malocclusion is causing TMJ dysfunction, then a dental treatment is used to correct the bite. Similarly, for stress-related causes, different stress management strategies are used.
How can Osteopathy Help Relieve TMJ Pain?
Osteopathic treatment for TMJ pain is very effective. An osteopath treats the TMJ pain by;
- Using soft tissue technique that loosens up the tight muscles that might be causing tension or pain.
- Treating restrictions in jaw movement and restoring the accurate movement of the temporomandibular joint.
- Correcting the poor neck and upper back postures that cause tightness and joint restriction in the muscles and joints.
- Suggesting stretches and exercises that help alleviate pain and prevent the reoccurrence of pain.
Home Remedies for TMJ Pain
In addition to the osteopathic treatment for TMJ disorder, you can follow these instructions at home to reduce the discomfort.
- Apply ice to the joints to reduce swelling and heat to relax the muscles.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks and emotional stress
- You should not eat chewing gum so that the jaw, neck, and shoulder muscles can relax.
- Use pain killers to reduce the discomfort.
Get a Consultation
Osteopathy is one of the possible treatment solutions for TMJ pain. It utilizes different techniques like soft massage and exercises to reduce spasms in the jaw muscle. Every patient has a different cause for TMJ pain, and therefore their treatment will also vary. The osteopaths at Euromed Clinic Center choose the most suitable technique on the basis of the diagnosis. So, visit our clinic for a consultation or book your appointment online by filling the form below.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Practitioner Osteopathy
Aziza Zebeidi is an osteopath with over 17 years of experience. She has served at some prestigious clinics in the public and private sectors. Recently, she has started incorporating capnometry in her treatments, elevating patients’ experience.Read more