Is your baby’s head always turned or bent to one side? Does your baby struggle to turn its head? If yes, then your baby might be suffering from torticollis. Torticollis is a condition in which an infant’s neck twists, causing the head to rotate at an odd angle. This condition can be treated with osteopathy.
Table of Contents
Osteopathy for torticollis in Dubai is an effective, safe, and non-invasive approach to treat a twisted neck. Visit an osteopath immediately if you suspect your baby to have torticollis.
What is Torticollis?
Torticollis, commonly known as Wryneck, is a prevalent condition among infants. It occurs when the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) on one side of the neck is short and tight. As a result, your baby’s head is always turned to one side, and his chin points to the opposite shoulder.
Types of Torticollis
There are two common types of torticollis:
- Congenital torticollis
- Acquired torticollis
It is a very common type of pediatric torticollis. Babies are either born with it or develop this condition in the initial few days or weeks of their life.
This type of torticollis appears after birth and is associated with severe medical conditions.
What Causes Torticollis?
The exact cause of torticollis is still not known. However, the most common causes include:
- Shortening and tightening of SCM.
- Position of the fetus in the uterus that might damage the neck muscles.
- Cramped baby in the womb
- Use of forceps or vacuum during delivery
- Irritation to the cervical ligaments due to an injury or viral infection
What are the Symptoms?
Some common symptoms of torticollis are:
- Asymmetry in a baby’s head. The head becomes flat from one side from lying in the same position all the time.
- Asymmetry in baby’s face.
- The baby’s head and neck turned to one side due to a limited range of motion.
- Neck muscle pain and spasms
- Pain down the spine
- Odd position of the chin
If you observe all these symptoms in your baby, you should opt for osteopathy Dubai.
Osteopathy for Torticollis Treatment
Osteopathy for torticollis Dubai aims to minimize the tensions inside the infant’s body that might be caused due to trauma during birth. An osteopath selects treatment after a detailed physical examination and analyzing the medical history.
Once the cause of torticollis is diagnosed, the osteopath uses gentle and non-invasive techniques to give mobility to the baby’s body. In most cases, the imbalance is not in the cervical area only. It can be in the pelvis, spine, or abdomen too. Therefore, an osteopath can work on any of these areas.
In osteopathic treatments, one primary aim is to correct anatomical dysfunction for improved functioning. It is an osteopath’s job to restore the position of bones in a baby’s skull. It helps release pressure off the nerves, which enables the baby to correct its posture and shape of the head.
Some other treatment options for torticollis include;
- Neck Exercises
- Gentle stretches
- Physical therapy
- Surgery of the SCM
- Craniosacral Therapy CST
What to do after getting Osteopathy Treatment?
You should stimulate your baby’s cervical mobility at home after getting an osteopathic treatment for torticollis in Dubai. For this purpose, you need to;
- Perform “Tummy time exercise” to strengthen the neck and shoulder muscles of your baby.
- While feeding your baby, offer the breast or bottle from the side that your baby does not like.
- Place all the toys on the side that your baby does not enjoy during playtime.
- Carry your child using different ways like wraps or use carriers.
- Place the baby on its back during sleep time.
Get a Consultation
Visit Euromed® Clinic Center if you are looking for an osteopath in Dubai for torticollis treatment. You can consult with our certified osteopaths by filling the form given below. Once you fill the form, our team member will contact you to book your appointment.