A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure to improve the abdomen’s shape. During this treatment, a surgeon removes excess fat and skin from your stomach. They also tighten the abdominal connective tissues and reposition the remaining skin to create a more toned appearance.
A tummy tuck is an ideal treatment for individuals with a weak lower abdominal wall or excess skin around the belly button. Not only does this procedure improve your appearance, but it can also enhance your body image.
Table of Contents
- 1 Who is the Best Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
- 2 Types of Tummy Tuck Surgery
- 3 How To Prepare For The Tummy Tuck Procedure?
- 4 Tummy Tuck Procedure
- 5 What To Expect After The Procedure?
- 6 What Are The Results Of A Tummy Tuck?
- 9 How much Does it Cost for a Tummy Tuck?
- 10 How long is recovery from a tummy tuck?
- 11 How painful is a tummy tuck?
- 12 Is tummy tuck surgery permanent?
- 13 How long does a tummy tuck treatment take?
- 14 What is the best age for a tummy tuck?
- 15 Book Your Appointment
Who is the Best Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
You are an ideal candidate for the tummy tuck surgical procedure if you:
- Are in overall good health
- Do not smoke
- Have 20% extra body weight above what could be your ideal weight
- Have loose abdominal muscles and skin
- Have excess fat deposits in your tummy
Types of Tummy Tuck Surgery
Abdominoplasty can be classified into three main types, depending on the amount of correction needed from the treatment.
Mini Abdominoplasty, or a mini tummy tuck, helps reduce the baggy skin on the lower abdomen. It typically eliminates the bulge in the lower abdomen, making the treated area flat.
Traditional Abdominoplasty removes excess tissue and repairs muscles in the abdominal area, which has lost its compact shape due to weight fluctuations and pregnancy. This type of tummy tuck also involves navel or bellybutton repositioning after repairing abdominal tissues and tightening the skin over the treated area. Your doctor may combine this procedure with liposuction to achieve better results.
Extended Abdominoplasty is usually for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight and want to improve their body contours dramatically. This form of tummy tuck involves excess tissue and skin removal not only from the abdominal area but also from the flanks and lower back.
How To Prepare For The Tummy Tuck Procedure?
When you go for a pre-op meeting with your surgeon, they will guide you about preparing for the surgery. These instructions vary for each individual, but some general instructions are as follows:
- Get all the prescribed lab tests done.
- Follow a healthy diet regimen.
- Do not smoke
- Take medicines prescribed by your doctor.
- Stop taking herbal supplements, NSAIDs, and aspirin.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
A tummy tuck is performed on an outpatient basis, and the duration varies for each patient depending on various factors. The step-by-step procedure of a tummy tuck is as follows:
- Generally, tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Local anesthesia can also be used in some cases.
- After administering anesthesia, the surgeon makes incisions in the treatment area. The nature of incisions may vary, depending on the type of surgery. Generally, the incisions are made:
- Horizontally between the pubic hairline and belly button and around the navel for traditional abdominoplasty surgery
- Horizontally between the navel and pubic hairline for a mini-abdominoplasty
- Low in the public area, between the hip bones, for an extended Abdominoplasty
- After making the incisions, the surgeon will improve the abdominal appearance by:
- Removing excess skin or fat and tightening abdominal muscles in a traditional abdominoplasty
- Eliminating excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen and tightening abdominal muscles in mini-abdominoplasty
- Sewing the separated muscles, removing excess skin from the tummy and flanks, and pulling the skin taut in an extended Abdominoplasty
- Finally, incisions are closed with stitches.
What To Expect After The Procedure?
The recovery and downtime after a tummy tuck are primarily associated with the type of surgery. Other factors influencing the recovery include age, overall health, and post-op care.
Here is what you can expect during recovery after a tummy tuck operation.
- The surgical staff will cover your incisions and belly button with surgical dressing. Small tubes may be attached to the incision areas to remove excess fluid or blood. These tubes are left in place for several days. The surgical staff will teach you how to drain fluids through these tubes.
- The healthcare staff will help you walk around the facility to prevent blood clotting, preferably on the first day after surgery.
- Expect swelling and pain in the treated area. You will likely be prescribed pain medication. You may also be prescribed antibiotics, especially until drainage tubes are in place.
- You must be careful when moving around for the first six weeks to avoid strain on your incision line. You will also need to avoid bending at your waist in order to prevent the wound from reopening.
- Your doctor will likely prescribe wearing a supportive abdominal garment, such as an abdominal binder, for about six weeks. This will provide the necessary support to the treated area while it heals.
- Lastly, your doctor will schedule follow-up visits to check your recovery pace.
What Are The Results Of A Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck removes the excess fat and skin and makes the abdominal wall firmer, giving your abdomen a toned and slim look. These results are long-lasting, provided that you adhere to a healthy lifestyle routine.
How much Does it Cost for a Tummy Tuck?
The average cost of a Tummy Tuck in Dubai is 30,000 AED. However, the exact price of the treatment depends on several factors, such as the extent of treatment, the surgeon’s expertise, the geographic area of the clinic, and patient expectations.
How long is recovery from a tummy tuck?
The average recovery duration after a tummy tuck is six weeks, but it may vary from patient to patient. Generally, the recovery period is shorter for a mini-tummy tuck, whereas more advanced abdominoplasty procedures lead to more extensive recovery durations. Patients should avoid indulging in strenuous activities during recovery and follow all post-op instructions.
How painful is a tummy tuck?
Since abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure, it involves pain. However, the pain is managed through general or local anesthesia, which is administered before the procedure.
Is tummy tuck surgery permanent?
A tummy tuck is permanent in the sense that the tissue and fat removed during the surgery will not come back. However, patients have to maintain these results by making necessary lifestyle changes. Otherwise, their skin will start becoming loose and sagging once again.
How long does a tummy tuck treatment take?
A tummy tuck procedure may last 2-3 hours. The treatment duration may vary depending on the type of abdominoplasty and the amount of tissue that must be removed.
What is the best age for a tummy tuck?
Most men and women choose to undergo abdominoplasty from their late 20s to early 40s. But as far as age is concerned, you can get this treatment at any age, provided that you are in good health and willing to maintain results. Moreover, women who are not planning on getting pregnant are more suitable candidates for this treatment than other women.
Book Your Appointment
Do you want to improve your appearance with a tummy tuck? EuroMed Clinic Dubai is at your service. You can book a consultation by calling +971 4 394 5422 or filling out the form below.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
Dr. Ken ArashiroPhysician Specialist Plastic Surgery
Dr. Ken Arashiro is a seasoned plastic surgeon with more than 30 years of experience in this field. He is certified by several prestigious organizations and licensed by the Dubai Health Authority.Read more