Breasts are an important part of a woman’s anatomy and have an emotional element involved. Aging, weight loss, breastfeeding, genetics and several other factors can cause women to lose breast volume leading to sagging and/or asymmetrical breasts. This makes most women wish for a fuller and firmer bust. Undergoing Breast Augmentation in Dubai can help you achieve your desired breast volume and an enhanced overall body contour.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Breast Augmentation is one of the top 5 frequently performed cosmetic surgery procedures across the world.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Breast Augmentation?
- 2 What Can Breast Augmentation Do?
- 3 Am I A Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
- 4 What Should I Expect During Breast Augmentation Consultation?
- 5 Preparing for Breast Augmentation
- 6 Breast Augmentation Procedure
- 7 Breast Augmentation Recovery
- 8 Results
- 9 Breast Augmentation Risks and Side Effects
- 10 What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast implants?
- 11 How painful is breast augmentation?
- 12 How long do breast augmentation surgery results last?
- 13 Schedule a Free Consultation
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty is a plastic surgery procedure done to increase breast size. It involves using breast implants or fat transfer to enhance the breast volume and achieve a more desirable breast shape and/or improve asymmetrical breasts. The implants can either be placed under the breast tissues or chest muscles.
What Can Breast Augmentation Do?
Women undergo surgical breast enhancement for various reasons. Some get to boost low self-esteem due to smaller breasts while others opt for it to restore lost breast volume after undergoing mastectomy.
Breast augmentation surgery can help:
- Adjust the size and shape of your breasts following weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding
- Provide you with better shape and volume, enhancing your overall body contour
- Restore overall balance of your figure by correcting asymmetrical breasts
- Achieve desired bra size
- Boost confidence
Am I A Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
Augmentation mammoplasty is a purely cosmetic procedure and opting for it should always be a personal choice. Your plastic surgeon can consider you for the procedure if you meet the following candidacy criteria:
- Your breasts have stopped growing
- You have small or uneven breasts that are making you uncomfortable
- You are not pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are healthy and have realistic expectations
What Should I Expect During Breast Augmentation Consultation?
During the consultation, your plastic surgeon will ask you the reason you want to undergo the procedure and your expectations about end result. You will undergo a full physical exam of your breasts and adjacent contours. Your surgeon will also brief you about the procedure, what to expect, pre- and post-op preparation and any potential side effects and complications involved.
It is recommended to ask as many questions as you can during the consultation, so you have clarity about the procedure.
Preparing for Breast Augmentation
Preparing for breast augmentation surgery involves following pre-operative guidelines given by your plastic surgeon. Your doctor will advise you to:
- Stop smoking a few weeks before the procedure
- Avoid certain blood-thinning medications such as aspirin and herbal supplements
Breast Augmentation Procedure
Breast augmentation surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure. Two types of breast implants are used to enhance breast volume:
- Silicone implants. These silicone gel-filled implants are elastic and soft to the touch. They come pre-filled and a relatively longer incision is made to insert them.
- Saline implants. These implants can be filled with sterile saltwater during the procedure or can be used pre-filled. The incision size also varies accordingly but is smaller than that for saline implants.
Once breast augmentation surgery has been performed, you will spend a few hours in the recovery room. However, the procedure does not require an overnight hospital stay. Once you are stable and able to move, a friend or family member can drive you home. You will need someone to help you through the first night, so plan accordingly.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Before leaving the hospital after surgery, your surgeon will provide you with a list of post-op instructions, follow-up appointment dates and some prescription medicines.
Use a compression bandage or wear a sports bra during the recovery for extra support and proper positioning of the breast implants.
Expect to experience some soreness, swelling, bruising, and discomfort for a couple of weeks. Use prescribed pain medication to relieve pain and discomfort. Follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions on when you can resume routine activities. On average, people recover fully in about four to six weeks. Avoid strenuous activities, lifting heavy objects and overworking yourself during the recovery period.
The results of breast augmentation surgery are immediate but could be obscured by post-op swelling. They become apparent gradually as the swelling subsides.
Breast Augmentation Risks and Side Effects
When performed by a skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, Breast Augmentation does not involve any serious risks are rare. Some common side effects associated with breast augmentation surgery include:
- Pain and tenderness
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in breast and nipple sensation
- Implant rupture or leakage
- Changes in implant position
What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast implants?
Breast augmentation is the name of the procedure that is done to enlarge breasts while breast implants are synthetic objects that are surgically inserted into the chest area to support the augmentation process.
How painful is breast augmentation?
Pain associated with breast augmentation is mostly at its peak in the first three days after the procedure. However, pain medications prescribed by surgeons can help relieve it.
How long do breast augmentation surgery results last?
According to the FDA, breast implants have a life of at least 10 years. However, some types of breast implants can last much longer while others last less.
Schedule a Free Consultation
At Euromed Clinic Dubai we have highly qualified Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons who are experts in performing breast augmentation procedures. We have well-trained nurses and a great support staff that will be with you every step of the way. Book a free consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons by calling us or filling out the online consultation form.