Hair loss happens due to many reasons, including male pattern baldness, hormonal imbalance, alopecia areata, and genetics. Pattern baldness is the most common, affecting a large number of men and women worldwide. Fortunately, baldness or hair loss is now a treatable problem, thanks to the availability of hair transplant treatment.
A hair transplant is a surgical procedure during which a surgeon extracts hair grafts from one area of the body and moves them to the balding regions on the head. The part of the skin from where those grafts are extracted is called the donor area, and the region where those grafts are implanted is the recipient area.
Since a hair transplant involves incisions to extract and implant hair, it is generally performed under local anesthesia.
Table of Contents
- 1 Are you a good candidate for a hair transplant?
- 2 What is the aim of a hair transplant?
- 3 Pre-Op Care
- 4 Hair Transplantation Techniques
- 5 Post-Op Care
- 6 How long is the recovery after hair transplant surgery?
- 7 Hair Transplant Results
- 8 Hair Transplant Before and After
- 9 How much does it cost for a hair transplant in Dubai?
- 10 Hair Transplant FAQs
- 11 Schedule a Consultation
Are you a good candidate for a hair transplant?
A good candidate for a hair transplant can be anyone willing to restore hair growth on the head and facial areas. You can consider hair transplantation if you have thinning hair, a balding region on the head, or a receding hairline. This treatment is also helpful if you have less hair on your eyebrows or beard.
Here are a few factors that you can analyze to determine whether you are a good candidate for a hair transplant.
- Donor Hair: The foremost requirement for a successful hair transplant is a good amount of donor hair on the back of the head. Otherwise, the surgeon will analyze other hair-rich body areas to see if they can be viable donor sites.
- Hair loss: People having male pattern baldness for more than five years or those showing class 3 hair loss on the Norwood scale are usually ideal candidates for a hair transplant.
- Scalp laxity: Adequate scalp laxity is essential for a successful hair transplant. This is because extracting donor grafts and implanting them in the balding regions becomes difficult when your scalp is tight.
- Lifestyle: A healthy lifestyle goes a long way toward ensuring a successful hair transplant. This involves proper nutrition and healthy habits that promote a smoother and healthier blood flow to scalp tissues.
What is the aim of a hair transplant?
The main aim of a hair transplant is to give balding areas of your head living follicles that, in the future, grow thicker hair. This is, however, an oversimplification of what a hair transplant is purposed to provide.
Here are the top reasons you may want to get a hair transplant.
- Natural-looking results: Our experts at EuroMed Clinic Dubai design hair transplantation patterns with proper planning to ensure you get natural-looking results. They create a hairline that doesn’t look artificially created even when you lose residing hair around the transplanted region.
- Improved appearance and self-esteem: Hair loss causes individuals to become more concerned about their looks, resulting in low self-esteem. A hair transplant helps improve the overall appearance, restoring self-esteem.
- No need for special care: Your transplanted hair is as natural and healthy as the residing hair on your head. Hence, you won’t need to apply specialized hair care solutions to the transplanted region to maintain optimum hair thickness. You can shampoo and massage the transplanted hair like non-transplanted hair.
You will get specific instructions on preparing for a hair transplant depending on the treatment technique finalized for you. In general, the hair surgeon will give you a set of guidelines regarding:
- Your food and beverage intake
- Quitting smoking
- Vitamins and minerals that may or may not take
Quitting smoking at least a couple of weeks before surgery is necessary to increase the likelihood of the treatment’s success. This is because smoking interferes with the blood flow in the scalp, hampering transplanted hair growth. In addition to that, incorporate healthy habits into your lifestyle. This includes habits that benefit physical as well as mental health.
Hair Transplantation Techniques
Back in the day, hair plugs were the only hair transplantation method available to restore lost hair. This technique could not provide natural-looking results and accurately represented the hair transplantation industry’s infancy. But then came FUT, a hair transplantation method that remains the hair restoration industry’s staple even today. In addition to that, various other hair transplantation methods have been developed that give people with hair loss an array of options to choose from.
At EuroMed Clinic Dubai, we offer hair transplantation treatment through the following methods.
- FUT hair transplant
- FUE hair transplant
- Stem cell FUE hair transplant
- Robotic hair transplant
- Hybrid hair transplant
Let’s briefly explain these techniques one by one.
FUT Hair Transplant
FUT or Follicular Unit Transplantation mainly involves cutting a strip of the skin from the hair-rich area and dividing it into individual grafts. These grafts are then implanted into the balding or recipient areas. This treatment is considered gold-standard for covering a receding hairline due to male pattern baldness.
FUE Hair Transplant
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction involves extracting individual hair grafts from the back of the head and transplanting them into the recipient region. This technique eliminates the need to cut a strip graft, a typical step of the FUT. This technique has become more popular than FUT due to less visible scars on the donor area and better-looking results.
Stem Cell FUE Hair Transplant
Stem cell FUE hair transplant, as the name implies, is a method that combines the stem cell and follicular unit extraction technique to grow hair in the balding areas. This technique doesn’t involve removing a large number of hair follicles from the donor site. Instead, the surgeon extracts a few donor grafts and sends them to the lab. The lab experts replicate those follicle grafts using stem cells and send those back to your surgeon. They then implant those grafts into the balding region of the head.
Robotic Hair Transplant
Robotic hair transplantation is a method of using AI that prompts a robot to harvest hair grafts. This hair restoration method uses the Follicular Unit Extraction technique.
Hybrid Hair Transplant
A hybrid hair transplant involves extracting hair follicles using FUE and FUT methods. This hair transplantation plan works best when you have significantly less hair on the back of the head. The most significant benefit of this method is that it helps extract the highest number of hair grafts during a single session.
Here is a quick guide on how to take care of your scalp and hair after a hair transplant.
- The first few days: You may return home immediately after the hair transplant, but taking a few days off to rest at home is recommended. Moreover, it is necessary not to scratch or rub the treated area. And ensure not to engage in any strenuous activity that may lead to sweating. Wear a loose-fitting hat if you have to go out.
- Managing pain and swelling: You will have some pain and swelling in the treated area for about a week after surgery. This is normal. But if you want to relieve the pain, it would be best to discuss the pain medication option with your surgeon or GP.
- Infections: Although infections after a hair transplant are rare, they can still occur. Therefore, it is crucial to stay away from dirt and dust and avoid sweating for at least two weeks. Moreover, you should report to your surgeon if swelling and pain persist for more than two weeks.
- Resuming routine activities: You can return to your work two days after a hair transplant unless your job involves strenuous physical activities.
- Peeling and itching: You can relieve itching with the help of a standard sterile saline solution. Using aloe vera gel can also be beneficial. You will notice crusting and peeling in the treated region seven to ten days after surgery. You can let this process run its course or ask a surgeon to prescribe a cream or solution to soften the scalp.
- Washing hair: You may wash your hair 3-4 days after surgery. However, it is essential to pour water gently on the head and use a mild shampoo. Use soft fingertips when applying the shampoo. You must also avoid plucking at the hair when massaging the scalp.
- Haircutting and styling: You may use scissors for a haircut 3-4 and a razor at least six months after a hair transplant. Moreover, make sure to use gentle hands and remain highly cautious when combing.
How long is the recovery after hair transplant surgery?
After a hair transplant, your scalp will be tender for several days. You will need to wear bandages for at least a couple of days. Your hair surgeon will ask you to wait at least 2-5 days before you return to your workplace after surgery.
The second recovery phase starts 2-3 weeks after a hair transplant. The onset of this phase is characterized by the transplanted hair falling out. However, these shedding hairs are just the strands, not the follicles. New hair will start growing in the transplanted area in a few months.
Hair Transplant Results
The hair growth will be pretty meager during the first few months after surgery. You will likely get initial noticeable results 6-9 months after surgery. These results generally characterize 60% of hair growth in the transplanted region. More pronounced treatment results occur after 12 months.
Hair Transplant Before and After
How much does it cost for a hair transplant in Dubai?
The average price of a hair transplant is 13,500 AED. The final cost of a hair transplant usually depends on the number of hair grafts implanted, the number of treatment sessions, and the transplantation technique used.
Hair Transplant FAQs
Is a hair transplant permanent?
Yes, a hair transplant’s results are likely permanent. This is because donor hair grafts – which usually come from the back of the head – are immune to DHT, a hormone responsible for inducing male pattern baldness. These grafts do not lose their immunity to DHT even after being transplanted into the balding area of the head and, hence, tend to produce hair strands for a lifetime.
Are hair transplants safe?
Yes, a hair transplant is a safe procedure with little to no risk of infections, provided that you get it from a skilled, board-certified hair surgeon.
Is it painful to have a hair transplant?
The hair transplant procedure is not painful because the local anesthetic solution is administered beforehand. However, you will feel some pain in the treated regions once the effect of anesthesia wards off. This pain subsides gradually and disappears in a few days. You can discuss pain medication options with your doctor if you want.
Does a hair transplant look natural?
Yes, hair transplants produce natural-looking results, thanks to modern advancements in the treatment. During a typical hair transplant procedure, the surgeon inserts individual grafts in the balding areas, creating a hairline that remains indistinguishable from the natural distribution of hair strands.
What are the side effects of a hair transplant?
The inevitable side effect of a hair transplant (FUT) is scarring on the donor site. The good thing is this scarring is barely visible. Other rare side effects of this treatment include infection, pus around the surgical area, pain or itching, follicle inflammation, bleeding, and nerve damage.
Schedule a Consultation
A hair transplant at EuroMed Clinic Dubai can help you achieve this goal the way you want. Our hair surgeons enjoy a worldwide reputation in hair restoration using transplantation. You may get more information or book a consultation using the online form below.