Baldness happens for many reasons, including pattern baldness, hormonal imbalance, and genetics. Pattern baldness is the most common, affecting a large number of men and women worldwide. Fortunately, hair transplant treatment is one of several options that they can consider to restore their looks.
A hair transplant is a surgical procedure during which a surgeon extracts hair grafts from one area of the body and moves them to the bald regions on the head. The part of the skin from where those grafts are extracted is called the donor area, and the region where those grafts are implanted is called the recipient area.
Since a hair transplant involves incisions to extract and implant hair, it is generally performed under local anesthesia. However, depending on the candidate’s medical history, anxiety level, and pain tolerance, general anesthesia or sedation options may be considered.
Are you a good candidate for a hair transplant?
You may be a good candidate for a hair transplant if you:
- Have enough hair loss to be qualified for surgery – You must have a significant bald area on the head. Minor hair loss or baldness of a smaller scalp area is generally treated with non-surgical options, such as topical, injectable, and oral medications.
- Have a good amount of healthy hair in the donor area – A hair transplant involves transferring hair follicles from one area (donor site) to the other (recipient site). This makes it necessary for the donor site to have a good amount of healthy hair.
- Have a healthy scalp – Your scalp must receive optimal blood supply to nourish the newly transplanted hair follicles. This improves your chances of successful treatment and longer-lasting results.
- Are overall healthy – You must be in good overall health to get the maximum benefit from a hair transplant. This is because medical conditions can increase the risk of complications during recovery.
- Have realistic expectations – Not all transplanted hair follicles will produce hair after the treatment. The percentage of follicles that grow hair ranges between 10 and 80, depending on the scalp’s health and other factors. Moreover, the recovery duration can be an enduring period that may last several months. Therefore, you must set realistic expectations by discussing this treatment, its recovery, and its results with a qualified practitioner.
What is the aim of a hair transplant?
The main aim of a hair transplant is to give balding areas of your head living follicles that, in the future, grow thicker hair. This statement is, however, an oversimplification of what a hair transplant is purposed to provide.
Here are the top reasons you may want to get a hair transplant.
- Natural-looking results: Our experts at EuroMed Clinic Dubai design hair transplantation patterns with proper planning to ensure you get natural-looking results. They create a hairline that doesn’t look artificially created even when you lose residing hair around the transplanted region.
- Improved appearance and self-esteem: Hair loss causes individuals to become more concerned about their looks, resulting in low self-esteem. A hair transplant helps improve the overall appearance, restoring self-esteem.
- No need for special care: Your transplanted hair is as natural and healthy as the residing hair on your head. Hence, you won’t need to apply specialized hair care solutions to the transplanted region to maintain optimum hair thickness. You can shampoo and massage the transplanted hair like non-transplanted hair.
Hair Transplantation Techniques
EuroMed Clinic Dubai offers hair transplantation treatment through the following methods.
- FUT hair transplant
- FUE hair transplant
- Robotic hair transplant
- Hybrid hair transplant
Let’s briefly explain these techniques one by one.
FUT Hair Transplant
FUT, or Follicular Unit Transplantation, mainly involves cutting a strip of the skin from the hair-rich area and dividing it into individual grafts. These grafts are then implanted into the balding or recipient areas. This treatment is considered gold-standard for covering a receding hairline due to male pattern baldness.
FUE Hair Transplant
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction involves extracting individual hair grafts from the back of the head and transplanting them into the recipient region. This technique eliminates the need to cut a strip graft, a mandatory step of the FUT. This technique has become more popular than FUT due to less visible scars on the donor area and better-looking results.
Robotic Hair Transplant
Robotic hair transplantation is a contemporary FUE or DHI technique that involves using an AI-guided robot to harvest hair grafts. Once extracted, these hair grafts are manually implanted in the treatment area.
Hybrid Hair Transplant
A hybrid hair transplant combines FUE and FUT to derive the intended results. This hair transplantation plan works best when you have significantly less hair on the back of the head. The most significant benefit of this method is that it helps extract the highest number of hair grafts during a single session.
How long is the recovery after hair transplant surgery?
After a hair transplant, your scalp will be tender for several days. You will need to wear bandages for at least 24 hours. Your hair surgeon will ask you to wait at least 2-5 days before you return to your workplace after surgery.
The second recovery phase starts 2-3 weeks after a hair transplant. The onset of this phase is characterized by the transplanted hair falling out. However, these shedding hairs are just the strands, not the follicles. New hair will start growing in the transplanted area in a few months.
Hair Transplant Results
The hair growth may not be noticeable during the first few months after surgery. You will likely get initial evident results 6-9 months after surgery. More pronounced treatment results usually occur after 12 months.
How much does it cost for a hair transplant in Dubai?
The average starting price of a hair transplant is 13,500 AED. The final cost of a hair transplant usually depends on the number of hair grafts implanted, the number of treatment sessions, and the transplantation technique used.
Are hair transplants safe?
Yes, a hair transplant is a safe procedure with a small risk of infections, provided that you get it from a skilled, board-certified hair surgeon.
Is it painful to have a hair transplant?
The hair transplant procedure is not painful as it is performed under anesthesia or sedation. However, you will feel some discomfort in the treated regions once the effect of anesthesia wards off. This pain subsides gradually and disappears in a few days. You can discuss pain medication options with your doctor if you want.
Does a hair transplant look natural?
Yes, hair transplants produce natural-looking results, thanks to modern advancements in the treatment. During a typical hair transplant procedure, the surgeon inserts individual grafts in the balding areas, creating a hairline that remains indistinguishable from the natural distribution of hair strands.
Schedule a Consultation
Need a hair transplant to improve your appearance and enhance self-esteem? Meet highly experienced and reputed trichologists at EuroMed Clinic Dubai. To book a consultation, call us at +971 4 394 5422 or fill out the form below.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
Dr. Ken ArashiroPhysician Specialist Plastic Surgery
Dr. Ken Arashiro is a seasoned plastic surgeon with more than 30 years of experience in this field. He is certified by several prestigious organizations and licensed by the Dubai Health Authority.Read more