Rhinoplasty or a Nose Job is a plastic surgery procedure to change the shape of the nose or improve nasal functions. Your doctor may recommend this treatment to enhance the aesthetics of your nose or treat a medical condition like trouble breathing or deformity due to an accident or genetics.
Table of Contents
- 1 Rhinoplasty Before and After
- 2 Rhinoplasty Benefits
- 3 Am I a Good Candidate for a Nose Job?
- 4 Preparing for Rhinoplasty
- 5 Types of Rhinoplasty
- 6 Rhinoplasty Procedure
- 7 Rhinoplasty Aftercare Instructions
- 8 What to Expect After Rhinoplasty?
- 9 What Are the Risks of Rhinoplasty?
- 10 How much does a nose job cost in Dubai?
- 11 At what age can you get a nose job?
- 12 Is nose surgery painful?
- 13 Can I smoke after rhinoplasty surgery?
- 14 Is nose surgery safe?
- 15 Does rhinoplasty last a lifetime?
- 16 Can I exercise after nose job surgery?
- 17 Does the voice change after rhinoplasty?
- 18 Schedule a Consultation
Rhinoplasty Before and After
Rhinoplasty can help improve the appearance and function of your nose. The benefits of a nose job include:
- Desired size of the nose
- Reshaped nostrils
- Reduced bridge
- Reduced nasal tip
- Better alignment of the nose with other facial features
- Enhanced facial aesthetics
- Improved nasal breathing
Am I a Good Candidate for a Nose Job?
Generally, you are a good candidate for a nose job if you want to align your nose with your facial features or have problems with nasal breathing.
You are more likely to benefit from a nose job if:
- You are physically fit and healthy.
- The growth of your nose is complete.
- You are a non-smoker.
- You have realistic expectations from the procedure.
Preparing for Rhinoplasty
Your surgeon will analyze your nose’s skin and other facial features to predict the treatment’s impact on your appearance. They will likely proceed with a customized treatment plan to help you get the desired change in your nose’s look and function.
And in the meantime, you will be advised to stick to the following pre-op instructions.
- Stop taking vitamin E, ibuprofen, aspirin, and blood-thinning medications two weeks before surgery.
- Be sure to take all prescription medicines as suggested by your surgeon.
- Stop eating and drinking the midnight before the surgery day.
- Quit smoking two weeks before surgery as it can adversely impact your post-op recovery.
- Get the services of a friend or relative to drive you back home after surgery.
Types of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is broadly classified into two main types:
This type of rhinoplasty is performed to change the appearance of the nose. It can alter the size, shape, and overall balance of the nose in relation to other facial features. Surgeons may remove, rearrange, or add to the nasal structure to achieve the desired look. Common cosmetic alterations include refining the nasal tip, narrowing the nostrils, or reducing a prominent bump on the nasal bridge.
This form of rhinoplasty is done to improve the function of the nose, often related to breathing difficulties, without significantly changing the exterior (appearance) of the nose. While these are the two primary categories, there are several more specific types of rhinoplasty that may fall under these broad categories, such as:
When a person undergoes rhinoplasty for the first time it is referred to as Primary Rhinoplasty.
Sometimes, things don’t go as planned. Therefore, a revision rhinoplasty is carried out to correct issues from a previous rhinoplasty.
In open rhinoplasty, the surgeon makes an incision on the outside of the nose (across the columella) to gain access to the nasal structures.
In this type of rhinoplasty, the incisions are made inside the nose, reducing visible scarring.
A nose job typically involves altering the nose’s upper portion (bone), the lower portion (cartilage), skin, or all three. This surgical procedure may be performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation.
Here are the steps involved in a rhinoplasty procedure.
- Before starting the procedure, the surgeon will administer anesthesia for your comfort.
- Rhinoplasty can be an open or closed surgery. During open rhinoplasty, the surgeon incises the skin across the columella – a narrow strip of tissues separating the nostrils. During closed rhinoplasty, the incisions are made from the inside of the nose. The surgeon raises the skin covering the nasal bones to access the nose’s inside structure.
- The surgeon will reduce the size of your nose in case of an overly large bone or cartilage or if you have a bulbous nose. On the other hand, they may add cartilage grafts if the nose is small-sized. These grafts are usually taken from the nose’s septum. And in some cases, they may be taken from the ear or a section of the rib cartilage.
- The surgeon may straighten the septum if it has deviated. This reduces the projections inside the nose, addressing functional problems and improving nasal breathing.
- After sculpting the underlying nasal structure, the surgeon redrapes the tissue and nasal skin and closes the incisions.
Rhinoplasty Aftercare Instructions
Here are the post-op steps you must follow to ensure seamless recovery and, more importantly, treatment success.
- Rest at home for some time and get good sleep.
- Be sure to keep your head elevated during recovery. Place two to three pillows under the head when sleeping.
- Walk around in the house and increase the number of steps daily.
- Avoid intense physical movements, including bicycling and exercising, for about two to three weeks after surgery.
- You may experience problems with bowel movements after rhinoplasty. Pay attention to your diet to ensure that these problems don’t lead to constipation. Also, avoid straining during bowel movements. Speak to your doctor if you think you need laxatives.
- Speak to the surgeon about when to resume medications you used to take before surgery. Also, discuss any new medications you need to take during recovery.
- Take pain medicines only prescribed by the surgeon.
- Be sure to take prescribed antibiotics to avoid infection in the treated region.
What to Expect After Rhinoplasty?
Here is what you can expect after a nose job:
- There will be swelling and bruising in the nose. There may also be dark bruises around your eye.
- The swelling will worsen during the first few days before getting better. It may take several months for the swelling to resolve.
- There will be some pain in the treated area. You may also feel a headache.
- This surgery will be followed by a stuffy nose, making breathing difficult for a short time.
- You can resume some of your activities one week after surgery and return to your usual routine 3-4 weeks after surgery.
What Are the Risks of Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty does involve some post-op risks, which you can minimize by consulting a specialist surgeon. Here is a brief overview of rhinoplasty risks.
- Numbness or pain in the treated area
- Difficulty breathing (rare complication that affects 10% of primary rhinoplasty recipients)
- Perforation in the septum
- Possibility of revision rhinoplasty
- Persistent swelling
How much does a nose job cost in Dubai?
The average cost of a Rhinoplasty or Nose Job is 25,000 Dhs. However, the exact cost of a Nose Job may depend on several factors such as the location of the clinic, surgeon expertise, medications, etc.
At what age can you get a nose job?
Rhinoplasty can be performed at 13 or 14 years of age in girls and 15 or 16 years in boys. This is usually when the nose reaches 90% of its growth. That said, a face-to-face evaluation is the most accurate way to determine whether you are fit for this procedure.
Is nose surgery painful?
During surgery? No. After surgery? Yes. You may feel some tenderness and slight aches due to increased sinus pressure for some time after surgery. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medications to help you keep the pain at bay.
Can I smoke after rhinoplasty surgery?
Directly after the procedure, not at all. You should avoid smoking for at least a week to ensure a smooth healing process.
Is nose surgery safe?
Like most other surgeries, rhinoplasty does have some risks. But these risks are minor and complications are rare. You can discuss post-surgery complications with your surgeon before the treatment starts.
Does rhinoplasty last a lifetime?
Rhinoplasty generally produces long-lasting or permanent results, as it involves the physical restructuring of your nose. However, some people may need a revision rhinoplasty if they don’t get the desired results.
Can I exercise after nose job surgery?
You can continue with walking or other light activities after a couple of days. However, for a speedy recovery, doctors recommend avoiding strenuous exercise such as push-ups, weight lifting in the gym, or swimming until you are fully recovered.
Does the voice change after rhinoplasty?
There is still debate about whether rhinoplasty can affect one’s voice. Any surgical procedure that changes the shape of the nasal cavity could potentially impact the voice, especially if it involves the nasal septum or other parts of the nose that contribute to sound resonance. However, the consensus is that if any changes occur in the voice after rhinoplasty, they would likely be subtle and temporary.
Schedule a Consultation
Do you want to improve your nose aesthetics in Dubai with rhinoplasty? Euromed Clinic is here at your service. You can call us at +971 4 394 5422 or drop us a message by filling out the form below to book a consultation. you can also visit our location.