Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is the most common mental disorder in children and teenagers. It can happen to adolescents and adults. ADHD or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a famous mental disorder with dire consequence. Here is how to diagnose and treat it. Please continue reading to learn more about ADHD.
What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a serious psychological disorder that mostly affects teenagers and children. The condition can continue into adulthood if not treated properly or not treated at all. ADHD is one of the most common mental disorders found in children.
If a child has this illness, she or he may not be able to control her or his impulses. The affected person may not be able to pay attention to a matter. If left untreated, the child may not be able to live a normal life. Research shows this disorder is mostly found in boys but can occur in girls too.
It has been found that the affected people may not be able to set goals, manage time, stay organized, and hold a job. Problems related to self-esteem, relationships, and substance abuse are also common in people suffering from ADHD
Symptoms in Children
For children, the symptoms are divided into three categories:
- The person loses things
- The person is easily distracted
- The person forgets about daily activities
- The person does not appear to be listening
- The person may not be able to organize daily tasks
- The person does not follow directions or finish tasks
- The person does not like to do things that require sitting still
- The person cannot avoid mistakes that can easily be avoided
- The person cannot stay still
- The person talks excessively
- The person cannot play quietly
- The person always keeps moving
- The person bothers others
- Has trouble waiting for his or her turn
- The person speaks as someone is screaming
Symptoms in Adults
For adults, the symptoms can be different. The most common signs are:
- Mood swings
- Easily frustrated
- Low self-esteem
- Chronic boredom
- Problems at work
- Relationship problems
- Trouble controlling anger
- Addiction or substance abuse
- Forgetfulness and chronic lateness
- Not able to concentrate while reading
Causes of ADHD
The exact causes are unknown but the researcher has linked the following to ADHD:
- Brain changes
- Lead or other toxins
- Chemical imbalance
- A family history of ADHD
- Imbalance of brain chemicals
- Poor diet and lifestyle choices
- A brain injury or a brain disorder
- Less active attention controlling brain areas
The following have no role in causing ADHD:
- Poor schools
- Food allergies
- A poor home life
- level of blood sugar
- Watching too much TV
Though it is not possible to prevent it, early detection and proper treatment can help manage the symptoms. The symptoms of this illness can be managed with therapy and medication.
The following medications (also known as stimulants) can help control impulsive and hyperactive behavior:
- Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse)
- Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin)
- Dextroamphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine)
- Methylphenidate (Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate, Methylin, Ritalin, Quillivant)
If stimulants do not work, the professional can prescribe any of the following Nonstimulant mediations to people older than 6:
- Clonidine (Kapvay)
- Guanfacine (Intuniv)
- Atomoxetine (Strattera)
Some dietary supplements omega 3s can benefit the patient. if a doctor prescribes, Vayarin can be used.
The following therapies can help change the behavior:
- Special education
- Social skills training
- Behavior modification
- Psychotherapy (counseling)
Furthermore, attending support groups sessions help with support and acceptance.
Life After Treatment
Seeking professional help always works provided the patient cooperates with the professional. Such kind of treatments take time and it may not always possible to obtain results quickly. The symptoms of ADHD get better in early adulthood for most people with ADHD.
Do you want to learn more? Book your appointment now!
Book an Appointment Now
If you are suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or you have symptoms of this illness, you should seek professional help. A psychiatrist at the Euromed Clinic Center Dubai can answer all your questions. Please feel free to call us or fill the short online form to book an appointment.