Did you ever go through the times when you felt overwhelmed by your emotions, and your ability to cope with your routine life became a challenge? You are not alone. In such a situation, all you need is an opportunity to speak to someone who can help you recognize the source of challenges you face. Such support will help you feel understood and supported. This allows you to manage things that happen in your life by exploring new solutions.
But how can you find this support? The simple answer is a psychotherapeutic session. Psychotherapists and counselors are trained professionals who help individuals deal with their social, familial, economic, and personal issues. They assist you in adopting the correct mindset to take on everyday challenges without succumbing to internal and external stresses.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Psychotherapy?
- 2 What Issues Can Psychotherapy Help With?
- 3 How do I Choose a Psychotherapist?
- 4 What Happens In A Psychotherapy Session?
- 5 What can I expect to achieve in therapy?
- 6 Psychotherapy FAQs
- 7 Consult a Therapist
What is Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy, or therapeutic interaction, is a technique to help people with emotional challenges or mental illnesses. This interaction aims to eliminate troubling symptoms of a poor state of mind. Eventually, this therapeutic treatment helps a patient regain their good form of mental well-being and improve their quality of life.
What Issues Can Psychotherapy Help With?
Psychotherapeutic counseling can help treat various mental health problems, including:
- Mood disorders: Depression and bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders: Psychological problems like phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress, and panic disorders
- Eating disorder: Problems like Bulimia or anorexia
- Addictions: Drug dependence, alcoholism, addiction to gambling, and many more
- Schizophrenia: A mental health disorder causing the patient to stay away from reality
- Personality disorder: Problems like a dependent personality disorder or borderline personality disorder
How do I Choose a Psychotherapist?
Here is a brief overview of the steps involved in choosing a psychotherapist.
- Browse through a psychotherapist directory and select a mental health care professional.
- Contact the practitioner you have selected.
- Schedule an initial consultation to see how you feel during and after meeting the therapist. This should give you a sense of how things will work in the subsequent sessions.
- Take your time to analyze the effect of the first meeting. Do you feel better, or is the impact not significant the way you expected? Note down everything.
What Happens In A Psychotherapy Session?
The First Session
The therapist will get information about you and your requirements during the first psychotherapy session. They may ask you to fill out a form to describe how you feel physically and emotionally.
Psychotherapists get enough information during the first session, but they may need to schedule more sessions in the future to understand your concerns and situation. This information gathering and analysis help determine the most suitable course of action.
Not only does a psychotherapy session involve information gathering from the patient, but the patient also gets the opportunity to interview their therapist. You can ask the following question during the initial consultation with your therapist.
- What therapeutic technique will be used?
- What are the goals of this technique?
- What is the length of each psychotherapeutic session?
- How many sessions do I need to get the intended results?
The effectiveness of a therapeutic session depends significantly on the therapist’s ability to answer your questions. Therefore, it is imperative not to hold back when you have any questions regarding your treatment.
You may need to visit your therapist once or twice a week, depending on your mental state and the problem you want to solve. A therapeutic session typically lasts 45 to 60 minutes. Sometimes, your therapist may prescribe you to join a group session, which generally focuses on stabilization and safety.
What can I expect to achieve in therapy?
Psychotherapy helps you believe in your ability to do something you improve your situation. The main aim of this session is to develop a healthy behavior toward your relationships, work or school, and social interactions. In general, this psychological treatment helps you think more positively.
The main advantages of psychotherapy include the following:
- You will develop better relationship skills.
- You will be able to understand your goals and strategize the process to achieve them.
- You will get a boost in self-confidence.
- You will know what to do to calm yourself in a time of stress.
- Your overall mood will improve.
- You will be able to deal with depression and other behaviors that negatively impact your life.
How much does psychotherapy cost in Dubai?
The average cost of a psychotherapy session is 700 AED. The final cost depends on the number of consultation sessions and the problem being treated.
What is the difference between counseling and psychotherapy?
Counseling is a brief treatment that aims to solve a particular symptom or condition. On the other hand, psychotherapy is a long-term treatment that involves a deeper insight into a person’s problem. The main aim of psychotherapy is to bring behavioral change.
How do I know if I need psychotherapy?
According to the American Psychological Association, a person may need to see a psychotherapist when they encounter stress that interferes with a part of the daily routine. For example, you will probably need to go to a therapist if you cannot stop thinking about something for an entire day. More specifically, a psychotherapy session may become imperative if your mental state or a thought causes embarrassment or makes you want to avoid interacting with others.
What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?
A psychiatrist generally prescribes medications to treat mental conditions or reduce symptoms. On the other hand, a psychologist provides behavioral or talk therapy. Both these professionals can provide psychotherapy.
Consult a Therapist
Do you want to achieve emotional wellness or treat a mental condition through psychotherapy? Contact EuroMed Clinic Dubai, where you will get to meet highly skilled therapists who can help you overcome all your mental challenges. To schedule a consultation, please fill out the online form below.
Check Out Our Specialists Profiles
Dr. Bahjat BalbousPhysician Specialist Psychiatry
Dr. Bahjat Balbous is a DHA-licensed psychiatrist having more than 25 years of experience. He uses the latest Neurofeedback therapy in treating ADHD, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and other related disorders.Read more