Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that does not let the person sleep properly. It takes place due to disruption in the breathing. The affected person cannot sleep well at night or even sleeps enough but still feels tired. Obstructive sleep apnea, central sleep apnea, and complex sleep apnea syndrome are three types of this problem. If you have this issue, just try our sleep disorders treatment in Dubai. Please continue reading to learn more about it.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
The signs of central and obstructive sleep apneas overlap. Due to this reason, an expert can determine which type of sleep apnea it is. Some notable central and obstructive sleep apneas are:
- Loud snoring
- Morning headache
- Gasping for air during sleep
- Awakening with a dry mouth
- Sudden stoppage of breathing
- Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
- Difficulty paying attention while awake
- Urge to sleep during daytime (hypersomnia)
Causes of Sleep Apnea
The causes of two main types of sleep apnea are:
- Central Sleep Apnea: It is not a common type of sleep apnea that occurs when brain fails to send signals to the breathing muscles. The person with this issue makes no effort to breath for a short period. It often makes the person awake due to feeling difficulty in breathing.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: It is a common type of sleep apnea and it occurs when the muscles in the back of the throat relax. The airway closes or narrows due to relaxing of the muscles. The person wakes up due to lack of enough air.
Risk Factors of Sleep Apnea
Thought this disorder can affect anyone but the following factors can increase the risk:
1. Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Being older
- Being male
- Excess weight
- Family history
- Nasal congestion
- A narrowed airway
- Neck circumference
- Use of tranquilizers, sedatives, or alcohol
2.Central Sleep Apnea
- Being male
- Being older
- Heart disorders
- Using narcotic pain medications
Complications of Sleep Apnea
It is a serious condition and can result in the following complications:
- Liver problems
- Type 2 diabetes
- Daytime fatigue
- Metabolic syndrome
- Sleep-deprived partners
- Heart problems or high blood pressure
- Complications with some surgeries/medications
Diagnosing Sleep Apnea
A sleep specialist can evaluate the condition based on the sleep history and symptoms of the patient. Some patients have to attend a sleep disorder center for overnight monitoring. A person could also be tested at home. The following tests are performed to detect sleep apnea:
- Home sleep tests
- Nocturnal polysomnography
The doctor will prescribe a therapy if signs of sleep apnea are clear. Please note that the portable monitoring devices are not good at diagnosing all people with sleep apnea. The doctor may recommend polysomnography if the initial results are normal.
In case of obstructive sleep apnea, the doctor may refer the patient to an ear, nose and throat specialist to know the actual situation of the nose and throat. In some cases, the opinion of a neurologist and cardiologist is required to look for the causes of central sleep apnea.
Treatment for Sleep Apnea
Just lifestyle changes can help in case of milder sleep apnea. If nasal allergy is causing a similar problem, the doctor will recommend a treatment for the allergy. For moderate to severe sleep apnea disorders, there are therapies that deliver promising results. Different devices can help open the blocked airway. In some cases, doctors suggest a surgery. Book an appointment if you want to learn more about sleep disorders treatment in Dubai.
Therapies for Sleep Apnea
The following sleep apnea therapies are available:
- Oral Appliances
- Other Airway Pressure Devices
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
Surgery for Sleep Apnea
If all available options fail, surgery might work. In some cases, it is better to go for a surgery to save time and money. The following techniques can be used in a sleep apnea surgery:
- Tissue Removal
- Tissue Shrinkage
- Jaw Repositioning
- Nerve Stimulation
- Creating a New Air Passageway (tracheostomy)
The following surgeries can also help:
- Surgery to remove enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Weight-loss (bariatric) surgery
CPAP Mask Options Can Help
This disorder is often treated using a headgear and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) masks. Different people have different needs and a person may have to try different styles and sizes if just one does not work.
Lifestyle Changes Can Help
According to research and clinical trials, the following, following lifestyle changes can help for obstructive sleep apnea and sometimes for central sleep apnea:
- Avoid smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid alcohol intake
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Sleep on your side or abdomen rather than on your back.
- Do not take medications such as sleeping pills and tranquilizers.
Tips to Feel Better Before Treatment
- Do not drive if you are drowsy.
- Sleeping on either side will help.
- Avoid drugs that can make you sleepy.
- No alcohol for four to six hours before bed.
Are you interested in sleep disorders treatment in Dubai? Book your appointment now.
Sleep Disorders FAQ’s
What are common sleep disorders?
Most common types of sleeping disorders are insomnia, narcolepsy, and restless-legs syndrome (RLS)
Can sleep disorders be cured?
Yes, sleep disorders can be cured. Many therapies like CBT along with some medications can prove to be effective against any type of sleep disorder.
What causes sleep disorder?
Constant headaches, chronic pain, arthritis along with psychiatric disorders (anxiety, depression) and constant drug abuse can lead to sleep disorders.
How can I solve my sleeping problem naturally?
You can solve your sleeping problems by doing regular exercise, having a diet change, making a sleep routine, avoiding hard drinks, and by avoiding physical and psychiatric disturbances.
How long can you go without sleep?
It is unclear how long a human being can survive without sleep. However, the world record of going without sleep is approximately 11 days.
Book an Appointment Now
If you are facing sleep apnea or sleep disorder treatment in Dubai, you can get more details just by contacting Euromed Dubai Clinic. The best way to speak to one of our experts is to book a consultation session. Please call us or fill the short online form now to book your appointment now.